Y does my puppy scoot if it doesnt have worms?

we have a 4 month old dorkie pup and shes up to date on shots we wormed her and everything but she keeps scooting on the floor.... she has no bloating or other signs of worms just the scooting. could she be playing or something?

kimsmith22

Asked by kimsmith22 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Pets

• Its probably trying to break it's anal gland. Dogs scoot when it's overfull and needs breaking.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I used to work at an animal clinic and I would have to agree. It is probably the anal glands. Most time when they do that or lick constantly it means they might need them expressed. I would keep an eye on the dog and if it gets bad enough take him into the doctor and have them expressed. You will notice a change.
    amanda1503

Answer by amanda1503 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Anal glands are typically supposed to be expressed every time they poop. However, if they don't get expressed, then they can start itching and ultimately get infected. You need to keep an eye on her. we had a dog that needed them removed surgically b/c they were getting infected. Take her to the vet..have them expressed..they can tell you by feeling if they are infected. Some dogs just need them manually expressed every now and then. Don't ignore it or it WILL become infected.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Itchy butt. My cat does this when she doesn't feel clean enough even after she has bathed.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Agree with above!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 12:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It's the anal gland, I would take her in to have it squeezed.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I agree with everyone about anal glands. I seen this on TV the other day.
    tgeary

Answer by tgeary at 12:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Dogs scoot to express anal glands, any vet or groomer can do this service for you. If you are brave and can stand the stench, you can learn how to do it too.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• she might have an itchy butt . check and see that it doesnt have worms like you said . but it seems to me to be a need to get the bottom rubbed .
    sugarsmom2

Answer by sugarsmom2 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I agree with amanda.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2011