I have a dumb question..

I have been working out and eating healthy for about a month...I do a 30 minute workout almost every day on the treadmill (at least 3 times a week, but usually 5 days). The weight is coming off and I do feel a little more toned, if I work out 1 hour every day instead of 30 minutes, will it help the weight go away faster?
I only have 10 pounds to go, but I dont want to work out too much and have the opposite effect, if that makes any sense to anybody...I guess what Im asking is, is it possible to work out too much? will I lose the weight faster if I do 30 min.. in the morning and 30 at night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Well fitness will tell you they work out 8 hours or more a day and there is no such thing as too much. Working out an hour a day (if you have the time) is great and will probably help you push past any plateau. It adding that extra 1/2 hour certainly won't hurt you! I would say it's probably more beneficial to do it all in one swipe rather than 30 and 30 - at 30 you are just kicking into aerobic breathing and burning so if you extend it I think you'll see more benefit than if you just stop at 30.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• On the surface, it SHOULD matter because you are burning more calories, but, sometimes, we get hungrier when we burn more, so we could eat the difference. Also, if you are exercising as often as you are, your pulse may be very slow and steady even though you are doing cardio. That will also effect the actual calorie loss.

What will burn more calories is weight training, or some type of strengthening. Muscle is very efficient at burning calories.

You are awesome that you are taking such good care of yourself!!!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Yes it will help. with Any long term weight loss you hit a plateau and the weight seems to stop coming off. That's when you know you have to up the exercise and OR eat less to push your body past what it is used to.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:14 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• working out more wont backfire, it will only help. you should keep your workouts changing because if your body gets used to the work out then you wont loose weight. change it up and kick up the intensity.
    sparkpeople.com has great workout plans
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Add some strength training to your routine. You will build some muscle but will burn more calories throughout the day even while doing nothing!
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• An hour 5 days a week is not overdoing it. It will help, but I also agree that adding some strength training to your routine will make an even bigger difference. Lean tissue burns more calories than fatty tissue, and women are not genetically designed to bulk up, so don't stress over bulking up.
    I also agree that sparkpeople.com is a great resource. They have lots of exercise demos, and tons of wonderful articles and other resources available, and all for free!
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I would add some strength training.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• You will see more results if you add to your workouts. Add in strength training as building muscle helps increase your metabolism + you'll looks smaller, even if you weigh the same. In the last 6 months I've lost 5lbs but lost 2 pant sizes because I increased strength training. Women don't have enough testosterone in their bodies to become too cut unless they start taking supplements and lifting super heavy weights so you don't have to worry about over doing it. Typically you'll just look leaner.
    Plus look at what you're eating - just because you're working out more doesn't mean you have to increase your calories a ton unless you're training for an athletic event and even then, you don't increase that much
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:28 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• cardio - pump it up a bit more!
    MommaSiete

Answer by MommaSiete at 3:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Do a bit more cardio and toss in some strength training.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:46 AM on Mar. 27, 2011