Why didn't Scott Walker turn this over to Indiana's prosecutor when he received it?

INDIANAPOLIS - An Indiana prosecutor said one of his deputies resigned Thursday after admitting he sent an email to Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker suggesting the Republican fake an attack on himself to discredit the public employee unions protesting his plan to strip them of nearly all collective bargaining rights.

Johnson County Prosecutor Brad Cooper said Carlos Lam resigned in a phone call about 5 a.m. Thursday after acknowledging that he sent the Feb. 19 email to Walker suggesting "the situation in WI presents a good opportunity for what's called a 'false flag' operation."

"If you could employ an associate who pretends to be sympathetic to the unions' cause to physically attack you (or even use a firearm against you), you could discredit the public unions," Lam wrote in the email, which was obtained by The Associated Press.

Cooper said Lam initially denied sending the email and said someone had hacked into his email account. But Lam later acknowledged he had written the message, and resigned hours before the Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism reported the contents publicly Thursday.

"He wanted to come clean, I guess, and said he is the one who sent that email," Cooper told the Daily Journal newspaper in Franklin, south of Indianapolis.

A message left by the AP at a telephone listing for Lam was not immediately returned Thursday.

Lam's email was sent amid daily protests at the Wisconsin Capitol against Walker's plan to take away public employees' rights to collectively bargain for anything except wages no higher than inflation.

"We cannot have the public unions hold the taxpayer hostage with their outrageous demands," said the email, which urged Walker to "stay strong."

Lam is the second Indiana prosecutor to lose his job over volatile comments about the Wisconsin protests. Jeffrey Cox, a deputy attorney general, was fired last month after tweeting that police should use live ammunition against labor protesters.

Wisconsin Republicans eventually used a procedural maneuver to pass the collective bargaining measure without Democrats who had fled to block a vote and Walker has signed it in to law. But a judge has issued a temporary restraining order to block the law from taking effect while courts consider a lawsuit alleging the Republicans' move violated the state's open meetings law and constitution.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Without taking sides in the wisconsin dispute, I think it would be safe to say that every governor probably gets 100's if not 1000's emails every day and Scott Walker probably had more than most. I cannot believe a governor has the time to read every email that is sent to him and they are probably read by the staffers. That being said, assuming the emails were not given to Indiana, it was the fault of the staffer who should receive some sort of minor discipline. Then again, I have received emails that I've inadvertantly not read or accidentally deleted. This issue seems pretty trivial to me.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• He stated he had an overwhelming amount of emails in support of him...journalists had to take him to court to get them released....which told a different story

and he mentioned having someone pretend to be a union member and disrupt the protesters on his taped call with who he thought was a Koch brother

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I think this is unfortunately par for the "win at any cost" conservative way
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

--
    this is actually a progressive tactic-when the end justifies the means.
    Mr. Walker was busy cleaning up the Capitol building, from all the shit the liberals left behind. I understood that the place smelled like feet and armpits when it was all over. EEEEKK. If he was too busy to get the emails taken care of, I FULLY UNDERSTAND.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

So, politicians who have the "win at any cost" (see Nancy Pelosi, Barack Obama, ObamaCare, stimulus, etc) way. What does that make them? Free pass?

Op, has it been proven Walker read every email that came to him? Did a staff member read it? I think there are more questions to this situation and less concrete answers.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I'm sorry, I had to wait till I had two hands free so I could copy and paste some of your article in to a search engine to find a source. I'm wondering how you're so sure that Scott Walker saw that email personally? I doubt he has a magic 8 ball that tells him who to report.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• this is actually a progressive tactic-when the end justifies the means.
    >>>>>
    Whatever. Based on the last few election cycles, you would be proven wrong.
    And I seriously doubt that Mr Walker would lift a finger doing anything remotely resembling physical labor
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• So, politicians who have the "win at any cost" (see Nancy Pelosi, Barack Obama, ObamaCare, stimulus, etc) way. What does that make them? Free pass?

>>>>>>>>>
    Gawd, do you people have a response that doesn't involve "Well, he did it first"?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Gawd, do you people have a response that doesn't involve "Well, he did it first"?

Pretty sure you are the one who speculated and isolated as the "conservative way".... Why might this be the conservative way? Are you giving left leaning politicans a free pass? Please, elaborate and explain your answer of the " conservative way". Thx.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I think this is unfortunately par for the "win at any cost"

I agree with this, but don't think it's limited to a particular party. Power and greed have taken over-most politicians could care less about the people........

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2011