Is it my laundry habits or Do I need to shop more?

I have a three year old son and if feels like I keep buying him new clothes, I keep doing laundry and at least every other morning I am struggling to put an outfit together. I do at least two or three loads of just his laundry a week and I know I have spent some decent money on clothes in his last growth spurt. I feel like I finally have a great full wardrobe for him just as he grows out of them. If I am not low on shirts I am low on pants or pajamas and I think socks literally just run away.
Do you ladies have any helpful hints on how to get it under control, or can you tell me how much laundry or give me input into how many pairs of shirts, pajamas, pants and so on your preschooler has ?

hotelmom123

Asked by hotelmom123 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Buy ahead when there is a clearance sale.

Use hangers with clips to pair outfits as soon as they are out of the dryer, that way you know what you have clean without rummaging.

I have a sock gremlin too... I've tried all sorts of things, and the only thing which has worked is to buy ALL the same type of sock, and make my children take them off as soon as the shoes come off for the day, and place them in the laundry basket.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• if youre loosing socks, check the dollar store for a mesh laundry bag with a zipper and keep his socks in one in his drawer and put all dirty ones in a diferent one so when you wash them they dont get lost. i swear by my mesh bags.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• We have at least one load a day for a family of four. I try not to buy too many clothes because they move out of them so quickly and they wind up getting stains that don't come out, etc. So, we basically wash and wear the same 4 things over and over until they don't fit or they are outgrown. My 4 year old has more clothes than my 2 year old because she is in school, and is conscious about her clothing. My two year old is at home with me, and, frankly, he wears sweats and T'shirts most of the time . . . just comfy cotton stuff . . . the same old stuff over and over again. I'll get him more of a variety when he is spending more time with peers.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My washer has a mouth that eats half of the socks! Lol I know how you feel, I constantly feel like I don't have clothes for my dd. Usually when it jut she and I out and about I try to buy her something, whether it be a shirt or pants and that's how we somewhat keep her wardrobe full. Another thing I've learned is to make sure her dirty clothes go back to her room after the bath rather than going to my hamper..we keep track of her clothes better that way. I also try to buy in two sets, rather than all at once..dh doesn't get that one but it helps me to see if we need to go up a size or stay where we are...I don't feel like I spend that much as well (which dh doesn't get that we'll be spending more and more the older she gets bc clothing prices go up as they grow.)
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 1:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My DS has three aunts, two of which love to buy him clothes(but both have jobs without families of their own yet), and the other one loves to pass down my nephews's hand-me downs to us. With that, we are never short of clothing for my DS, but since he is growing so rapidly, it seems like most of the clothes go unused, which we resale or donate. If I do buy things its at a thrift store or walmart, that way I'm not spending tons of money his clothes that he is just going to grow out of withing a few months. On an everyday basis, just shorts and t-shirts to play in, which he has 4-5 pairs of shorts, about that many pants(too hot to wear now though). He has about 5-6 shirts that are wore on an everyday basis, which have a few stains, I reserve the rest for outings, like visiting family or going to a restaurant, where I want him to look the best. With a family of 3, I do at least a load of laundry a day.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• my son has enough clothes for me so when i get his clothes together for the day, i just grab some jeans and a shirt. i'm a bit picky, the shirt has to match the jeans. like, for example, dark jeans do not go with a bright blue shirt. for that shirt i'd give him light jeans. dd, on the other hand, i didn't buy her many clothes last time (i go major clothes shopping twice a year, spring and fall) because i was a SAHM and she wasn't in preschool, so she wouldn't need as many as her brother. but i started this job a couple months later and dd needs more. it's too late to buy them now, i'm just doing what i can until i go spring clothes shopping. ( i tend to look for off season stuff as well, like if i see a fall outfit for sale in the spring, and it's the size my kid will be in the fall, i'll get it. helps me out when i'm fall shopping. same the other way around)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• also, if the kids didn't get really dirty that day, i'll save the jeans/skirt for another day instead of washing it. if i washed them every time, they'd be worn out. i can never get that lucky with shirts. they're always getting something on it, and i'm not sure i'd be able to not wash shirts anyway.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• my ds goes to bed in undies in the spring/summer....it gets to hot here for jammies. i am currently going through ds clothes to get his stuff ready for summer. you can always go to ross or goodwill for clothes to
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2011