How do you help your kids study for tests

How do you help your kids study for tests? I have tried everything I used to do plus new ideas for her. Shes in the 5th grade and is 11 shes so damn lazy when it comes to school. Her teachers say she sees school as a social event. Shes one of the only mixed kids in the school so I dont know if that has anything to do with it (my stepdaughter we got full custody to try and help her receive a better life then living in the ghetto) Ive talked to her explained things to her punished her like no tv or extra worksheets i give her but NOTHING is helping.

tomsjennabean

Asked by tomsjennabean at 1:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I used to try and make it fun for my kids We made a jeopardy like game out of the questions or subject's they had tests upcoming in. It really worked for my kid's. They retained more info it seemed.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• ive tried games she just hates studying. Im to the point where i dont care anymore since she doesnt. She had a huge chapter test the teacher told them to study since last monday they had it wednesday (she got a 63) everyday im telling her to study and if she wants help im here (im trying to step back a little since she will be in 6th grade next yr) she went to her moms over the weekend so i told her fri. before she left make sure you study. She studied tuesday night for 5min.
    tomsjennabean

Comment by tomsjennabean (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• As I've learned from my eldest DD, she lacked enthusiasm and motivation in elementary school. I had to get on her constantly but that seemed to do more damage than good. I did find out by speaking with her teachers and counselors that her problem was not school but the fact that she was still grieving over her grandfather. The teachers even got me to go as far as getting her tested for ADD and such. She was still in grief mode a year later. Ultimately, things happening at school or family life have a way of affecting children. It's not that they are always lazy but being involved emotionally as well as physically counts. I have always found out when the tests or quizzes were and new materials and did the typical index card way of reviewing. She's that kind of a learner, very visual.
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• She does have a tough background.....grew up in the ghetto of cleveland parents divorced.....lived mostly with her great grandma cause mom was never around (still really isnt) house caught on fire and now lives with us. We tried counseling last yr then DH lost his job and we lost insurance (it didnt seem to help but it was only 3 sessions) The thing is when DH takes her to counseling and even at home or school she lies everything that comes out of her mouth is a lie everything. We do keep in constant contact with her teachers.
    tomsjennabean

Comment by tomsjennabean (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Flash Cards. Flash Cards!! They are a way to make it fun and really stick in
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2011