What do you believe your role as a parent should be in our educational system?

I have read several posts about how are system is not working, and how so many parents blame the teachers and everyone else except themselves. I am not saying that once you have parents involved that it would make things 100% better for school system or our children. Teachers need to spend more time teaching and less time raising and teaching children skills that should be taught at home.

Alma_C

Asked by Alma_C at 1:52 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in General Parenting

• I started bilingual Kindergarten at 4 and what I like about it is that, we all sat facing the teacher and did nothing but listen, learn and ask questions. We socialized during play time. My parents would teach me about manners and things like that. As the years went by, I would get homework and my parents would help me if I needed help preparing for an exam. That was organized and worked fine for me.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 2:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I think that as parents we are our children's first teachers ..........school teachers work with what we send them and if we don't re enforce what they are learning then the teachers are fighting a losing battle ...I hate that people blame the teachers they aren't miracle workers people ....I volunteer at my kids school and its jaw dropping how many children are unprepared to be there there are 1st graders who cant even hold a pencil correctly but yet you hand that kid a xbox controller and that same child dominates it its insane ....and that type of situation in insanely common its sad
    koolest_mom_of4

Answer by koolest_mom_of4 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I was a teacher before I became a fullt-time SAHM. But when I did teach, I was disappointed to see how UN-involved parents were with their children's education. Many of my kids' parents failed to read, sign, and return any of the necessary paperwork for our school system on a regular basis. I was constantly having to call them about this sort of thing, and many of them had no idea that they were supposed to sign anything! This always made me wonder, "Are you communicating at all with your children? Do you check their book bags?" So few parents would come to school function, plays, shows, etc. And I actually had to spend our lunch periods teaching those children manners---fifth graders that didn't know how to properly behave in a dining setting was just appalling to me! At a school of 1,800 students, there were less than a dozen parent volunteers. Continued:
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 2:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I'm not saying that ALL parents are like this; that would be an unfair generalization. But from my personal experiences, I find that parents are far less involved in their children's education today than they used to be (I'm comparing today to my elementary days...). My mom used to check my homework. When I had incorrect answers, she would put a small mark beside them and tell me to try again. My mom helped me to prepare for all of my exams, and she did this until I was in about fifth grade. She helped me learn how to study, which is such an important skill. I carried this skill with me throughout the rest of my time in school and into college. Now, teachers have to spend time teaching students how to study and I think that's absurd. We should be teaching content--not life skills.
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 2:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I believe that my role as a parent is to educate my child. This is not the responsibility of others, not even in the slightest. I believe it is my obligation, and my responsibility to home educate my child in order for her to get the best possible opportunities and education. I don't trust anyone else with this important task!
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 2:29 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I agree with a lot of what has already been said. We are our child(ren)'s first teachers. They're learning from us from the first time they hear us speak... before we start "teaching" them on purpose. They're like sponges before we ever send them to a public, private, whatever kind of school we choose. So, at the VERY LEAST, it's our responsibility to lay a basic foundation. If there's no foundation, how can we expect a teacher to build anything? It's also our responsibility to keep up with what our children are learning or supposed to be learning at school, any problems etc. My kids aren't in school yet so I don't have personal experience as a parent yet but I do plan on being as involved as possible. (CONTINUED...)
    rachel92782

Answer by rachel92782 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• (...CONTINUED)
    On the flip side, my younger brother has had, ahem... problems with "the system." He has some level of high functioning autism and a few other disorders without a very specific diagnosis and my mother has been a VERY ACTIVE advocate and very involved throughout all his time in shool. (He's 15.) His needs, however, are not special enough for an IEP and w/o going into LOTS of details, he was ARRESTED for truency and defiance in court at AGE 8!!! Now he's being homeschooled because his problems were too inconvenient for the small school he was going to. (Very very short version of an incredibly long story.) Anyway, I sort of straddle the fence about some issues here.
    rachel92782

Answer by rachel92782 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• It is the parent's responsibility to work with the teacher, how else is your child to get the best education possible? My job as parent is to equip my child with the social skills necessary to interact with others, to work with my child on weak areas and to reinforce areas that they excel in academically, to work with his teacher when she points out those weaknesses and not fight her on it, to be involved in PTA and SAC so that I can be as educated myself and involved as possible in the education of my child. It is our duty to our children to give them the best we can, and their education is of the utmost importance. Without parent involvement, the teachers are rendered helpless and ineffective.

hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 5:28 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• i believe as parents it is our resposibility to teach our children most of what they need to learn school is about learning from a book...we need to teach them and prepare them for their futures .the problems with schools today is how large the classrooms are.how can one teacher possibly teach 25 young children and expect to get through to them all? i believe our children will suffer from it in the long run... a smaller classroom intern equals smarter children
    Anonymous

• I agree with Sgalsmommy. I've been working in my county's schools as a sub and my father works there as a police officer...parents are simply unwilling to back the schools up anymore. In kindergarten if a paper gets sent home, it isn't the child's fault that it doesn't come back completed...its parents who don't check the bags. It happens over and over...we will send home notes that say "Your child is struggling with this concept" and worksheets that might help and we don't see those worksheets or hear back until the parent is saying "why aren't you doing your jobs?" We will get the "My child would NEVER do that" with parents trying to protect their children...but what benefit does it do the child? I know growing up, if I got a call home from school, I didn't have a "side of the story", my parents knew I did whatever the teacher said and reinforced it at home. Its not like that anymore.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 26, 2008