8 yr old son flunked the hearing test....

I was wondering if maybe he had a wax issue because i have in the past so I made an appt withthe ped. The doc said that he had a lot of wax ( I was amazed at what he pulled out) and he had a double ear infection and he put Daniel on a higher dose of meds for it and asked us to come back in in 10 days cause he said that he wanted to recheck. today I noticed there was a lot of red looking wax in his ear and swabbed it out. so now I am curious Why d we have ear wax and why do some peo0ple produce so much and others dont!

I have to take Daniel back in April to redo the hearing test...talk about feeling like a bad mom. He never complained once...athough the tv was a bit loud....

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 1:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• that doesn't make you a bad mom! I dont know about the ear wax thing but I just wanted to say that if he has low hearing, he probably never complained because its just normal for him
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My son failed the hearing test four times. The wax in his ears was so impacted that he had to have surgery to remove it. Because he didn't have it done until 2nd grade, he was behind in reading, writing and spelling and is still catching up over a year later. They said the wax he produces is 'sticker' than most and that his ear canals are very narrow. I now put drops in his ears to soften the wax and he hasn't had that problem since.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Good luck . . . .

My daughter recently got pink eye, so I took her into urgent care. She wound up testing postive to strep throat and having an ear infection . . . I had noooooo idea . . . . she was her usual energetic self!

So, don't feel bad. It is hard to know something is wrong until there is a symptom, temperature, or mood change.

Hugs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Your SOO NOT a bad Mom. The general rule is to NEVER stick anything smaller than your elbow in an ear so how would not putting a q-tip inside his ear to get wax out make you a bad Mom? It was probably the wax that made him flunk it. Or he may not have understood the test. It takes total cooperation on a hearing test to get a valid result.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I just went through the ear wax issue with my daughter. When I noticed that she seemed to have problems hearing (I had to constantly repeat myself, I'd catch her watching my lips as I spoke, the volume on the TV would be way up), I took her in to the doc because she was a preemie and failed hearing tests as a baby/toddler and I wanted to make sure nothing weird was going on.

Turns out she had a huge build up of wax. It took 3 separate visits to the doctor and using an ear wax removal product at home to clear it out. In her case, she has extremely narrow/small ear passageways and the wax builds up, unlike the rest of the population who have "normal" size pathways and our ears do a better job of cleaning themselves out. Once she was cleared out, sound was actually TOO loud for her and it took her several days to adjust to normal hearing.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• You aren't a bad mom
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 6:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Some people just make more wax than others. It's supposed to naturally fall out, but I don't ever notice that it does. GL on the recheck in April. I've been failing hearing tests since I was 10. It's annoying, but not impossible to live with.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:51 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• You aren't a bad mom. These things happen.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011