What can we try to get our dog to stop chewing EVERYTHING???

We have had this dog for about 6 months, she is a little over a year old, but she chews absolutely everything! Including phone chargers, laptop wires, and anything she cn possibly get. We cant even leave her alone in our apartment when we go somewhere because she will destroy everything. We put her into our daughters room and putt all her toys away so she had nothing to chew, and we came home and she ripped a huge hole in the brand new carpet we had just put in a week before. Now we put her in the bathroom when we leave, but now she has chewed the door frame.... Idk what to do?!?! I am very attatched to this dog but it's getting to where my husband is talking about getting rid of her. :( Any suggestions ladies?

AshleyManjares

Asked by AshleyManjares at 1:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Pets

• It sounds like the dog needs more activity. I know when I started taking my dog to doggy daycare alot of her behavior issues (chewing, getting into everything) stopped. She was able to get all her energy out and didn't need to be chewing on things at home, she was much calmer and more relaxed too. If you don't have a doggy daycare around you I would just say long walks or runs and maybe going to a dog park to let her run and play. I think you would notice a big difference in her if you did. I think alot of dogs get into those behaviors just out of boredom and too much energy
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• oooh ok I'll definately try that. Thanks! :)
    AshleyManjares

Comment by AshleyManjares (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My 10 year old dog did the same thing when he was a pup. Mostly, it's boredom. When they're not stimulated, they look for ways to entertain themselves, and it's usually something destructive, heh. Definitely take your dog out more, longer walks, try to tire her out. Also, when you leave for short periods, you can try crating her, so she can't destroy anything. With my dog, we actually ended up getting a second dog, and having both of them out in the back yard (with access to the garage) whenever we're not home. Another thing you can try is give her something to work on. Get her a Kong ball (you can find them in every pet store, try to get the black ones, they're stronger than the red ones), and put some treats inside it. She'll spend HOURS trying to get to the treats, which is hours spent not chewing on anything else, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Puppies NEED to chew. Provide her with plenty of chew toys and let her know what is ok to chew and what is not. Also, if you can take your dog out for a LONG walk before you leave her alone, you'll probably come home to less mess. You can try spraying things she is fond of chewing with a no-chew spray from a pet store, that may help.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Awesome thanks for the tip :) i'll have to get her one of those :)
    AshleyManjares

Comment by AshleyManjares (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• She has a ton of chew toys, but she prefers the things shes not supposed to have. My DDs toys, wires, TP... lol I didnt know they had non-chew spray. Im gonna get me some today! Lol We take her out every day for a long walk. but she just wants to chew everything in sight EXCEPT the chew toys. lol
    AshleyManjares

Comment by AshleyManjares (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• U can put your dog in a cage when nobody is home. It could be separation anxiety.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• MAKE IT ITS OWN CHEW BOX WITH SAFE THINGS OF ITS OWN BE CREATIVE OLD SHOE STUFFED SOCK SAFE TOYS AND PUT THE BOX IN PLAIN VEIW HAVE AT LEAST 20 THINGS IN IT SIZED FOR HIM NOT ANYTHING IT CAN CHOKE ON OF SWALLOW OR THAT CAN BE TORN APART.WHEN HE GETS THINGS HE CAN HAVE SAY NO NO LETS GO GET YOUR TOYS.SOON IT WILL LEARN SOMETIMES PEOPLE DONT KNOW YOU MUST TALK TO YOU PETS.
    RAVENRABIT

Answer by RAVENRABIT at 3:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I LOVE all of the positive, smart, healthy and inventive ideas that you ladies have posted to this question :) I've learned a lot from reading this question & the answers. Thank You!
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• There is only two reasons dogs do this and it sounds like it may be a combination of the two. Separation anxiety and BOREDOM! It sounds like your dog just doesn't find his toys interesting or has too much energy to focus on his toys. Try to make more mentally stimulating toys. Toys you can put treats in when they have to find their own way to get them out. Puzzle toys like this keep their mind occupied as well. Dogs are intelligent and crave mental stimulation. I would also recommend crating your dog when you aren't home until he learns the rules.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2011