When did your toddler start pulling down their own pants?

My son is doing great with potty training, but he's not yet to the point where he pulls down his own boxers. We actually have to keep his potty chair in the same room that we happen to be in at the time, so that I'll catch him running to the potty and can help him pull them down before he sits. If I don't do this, he'll sit down with them on and pee haha. Every time I do this I try to get him to help me pull them down, after he's done I have him pull them up again by himself and then fix them if they're crooked or anything. Also he pulls down his own boxers before things like bath time. I just don't get why he's not thinking to do it before he sits down to go potty. Also I wish he'd tell us when he has to pee so we wouldn't have to keep his potty in whatever room we're in. He tells me when he has to poop but then again he talks about that for hours before it ever even happens haha.

Any advice?

ours

Asked by ours at 1:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• down was easy.. up is the hard one.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Well I guess my son is backwards then haha. I just don't understand how he'd rather pee through his boxers while ON the potty instead of just pulling them down first.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My kids didn't train until they were over 3. And I pulled down the pants in the beginning. It was around 3 1/2 I think.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• depends. with jeans, my son couldn't do that by himself until a little after 3. but he could pull down pants with elastic, like sweats or pj bottoms. my dd is training, she's been taking off her pants since before i started training her lol. not to go potty, but just to take them off. (she loves to get herself undressed and dressed by herself) she wears skirts, but they have the shorts attached to them, so she has to pull them down. sometimes she can do it, other times she needs help. depends on which on it is i guess. she can pull down things with elastic, just like ds did. it's those snaps and zippers that are hard. both can pull them up, but both need help with closing the zipper and snap. we're working on it with ds, he's got the concept, he pulls the zippers up and puts the snaps together, but you have to press HARD on snaps, and he just doesn't press hard enough

my dd is 2 1/2 and my ds just turned 4 last week btw
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I have noticed most kids wait till the very last minute to go to the bathroom (especially boys) They get distracted & wrapped up in what they are doing..So, I think your way ahead of the game. He will soon be in tune with his body & to head to the bathroom sooner...Plus, he is use to his bottom being covered when he goes potty and he has no problem taking them off when its time for a bath because he knows he is not dressed when he gets in the water. It takes lots of time; patience & laundry before they get it.. I think you are on the right track.... The only suggestion I would give is use one of the special seats that fits to the toilet with a footstool in front to help him get up there when its urgent.. the change may peak his interest enough because it is something new..Plus, he now knows that he can go in any room now because the potty will follow him. you're doing a good job working with him..
    TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 2:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• 3-1/2 is when he could pull his pants down. It'll come in time.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2011