So......had my appt. with the Homeopathic Doctor :)

We had unexplained infertility for years and 9 years later, was surprised with a pregnancy! We were thrilled! I m/c in June 2010. We began TTC and by November 2010, I was pregnant again, but m/c in the 1st trimester as well. I went back to my NP and asked about doing tests (she refers me to an OB to further investigate any fertility issues) and the OB said she doesn't want to see me for a year! So, I had to get proactive as I just want some tests done to inquire about why we 'could' be losing these babies in the first 3 months.
I booked an initial visit with the HD and saw her today. She wants to test me for blood clotting factors and my progesterone levels. That is all that I wanted before but the OB won't even make a referral for me to go onto a Fertility Specialist until next year (unless I wanted to pay the fee to go ahead on my own to set up a consult with one). I figured I would take matters in to my own hands and see what is found out after these 2 initial tests. The HD is very hopeful as she saw all my charting and has all the background info. as well as my past tests from my first 2 pregnancy losses, so at least her looking into this is very encouraging to me!
I get to go see her again next week and she will set up my 2 blood tests and see what they find out! Finally, we are moving forward.

miraclewaits

Asked by miraclewaits at 1:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• WOW. now, I understand the whole situation.... You have been through so much.... At first. when I read your question, It sounded like you were a younger person trying to get pregnant (not that you are old)..I have read so much information about getting pregnant in your late 30's/early 40's it all seemed so negative.... I read that after age 40 there is less than a 5 percent chance of getting pregnant.. then even if you do get pregnant there is a over a 40% chance you won't make it past 12 weeks.. I am so sorry to hear what you have gone through... that is really unexplainable why she refused to do the testing, usually they test you for everything known to man... I hope this Dr gives you the information you need to help you understand what is going on. I have been trying the past year to get pregnant, I havent taken an active approach to it... I already have a 17 & 14 yr old girls so, I am not in the same situation as you
    TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 10:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Now why wouldn't the OB Dr refer you? Id have demanded a valid reason. Good for you that you found a Dr willing to help. Best of luck to you TTC
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My Nurse Practitioner was willing to refer me to the OB that I had with my last pre pregnancy workup but now that I have m/c twice and both early trimester losses, the letter that the OB wrote to my NP said that she wants me to TTC for the next several months and will meet with me again only after 9-12 months have passed and we haven't been successful. My question was, can I have some testing done to see why this might be occuring 2x in 1 year? The response from my NP who would refer me to the OB again, was that we are just to keep TTC before anything more will be done to check into this. UGH!
    So, I talked to friend who suggested I look into making an appt. with a homeopathic doctor and gave me her name and #; hence why I booked an appt. Am I ever glad I did!
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• What is a homeopathic "doctor" ? I've read all about homeopathy, but I had no idea medical doctors actually practiced this.
    AmandaMonique

Answer by AmandaMonique at 3:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I am sure your OB/Dr told you that MC's that happen before the third month are commonly a result of chromosomal abnormalities. It is your body making sure you have a healthy baby ... As hard as it is to go through a mc, I would rather have a healthy gentically sound baby.. I was wondering how old you are? It is common practice for Dr.s to make you wait a year before are refered a fertility specialist when you are young ... it doesnt sound like you have a problem getting pregnant...
    TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 3:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I would find another OB and never look back! Do you really want her attending your future births with an attitude like this?

You know your own body, and you certainly shouldn't have to wait for tests if you want them. Find a sympathetic practicioner--maybe a family planning clinic--that can order the tests for you, if your homeopath cannot.

Congratulations on taking the first step in solving the problem yourself!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 4:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I am 36 and it was 9 years before we actually got pregnant last March for the 1st time. We had unexplained infertility; did alot of blood tests and he did the sperm analysis. All was normal. I had an HSG which showed that my left fallopian tube is blocked but I got pregnant twice this year and both times the baby was implanted in my uterus so doesn't seem to be a problem there. I, too, want a healthy baby but being a nurse and also very much, a researcher on fertility now that this has happened to me twice, it was a bit unnerving when the OB (after knowing my BBT's were dropping in my second pregnancy said not to worry and to stop taking my temps) and wouldn't do a progesterone level on me. All I wanted to know was whether my levels were indeed dropping as your temps decreasing can be directly related. She refused. She wasn't mean about it but just said it wasn't necessary. After my first loss, I just wanted to have
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• this simple test done to rule it out (if that was the case) so that I wouldn't continue to worry. I stopped taking my temps as she had said and I will never know if my temps continued to drop, only that I lost this baby just 3 weeks later. I am also curious about the blood clotting factors just to see if that 'could' be an issue with me or not. I am encouraged my what the Homeopathic Doctor had to say and that she is just going to do some tests to get a foundation for where I am at in terms of my body. That's all I asked for with my OB but she won't even see me for a year and my NP is not familiar with much regarding fertility tests, drugs, etc. so wanted to refer me to the OB (who doesn't want to see me until next February!) So, I am being proactive, that's all.
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I also wanted to add... I thought that it was common practice to be refered to a Fertility Specialist after 6 month of trying to get pregnant when you are over 35..... Because time is against you at this point... especially with the history you have... Please keep me informed on how thing are going...
    TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 10:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2011