Who home schools their children?

and why? how is that going? thnx.

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• We homeschool our 3 here.Well only 2 are so far as the little guy is too young. Homeschooling is going well for us and I wouldn't change it. That being said it does take ALOT of work and preperation. Your first step is to look up the rules and regulations for your state, we are in Florida and here you just have to send a letter of intent to homeschool and have your childs work evaluated at the end of the school year by a school certified evaluator. As far as being ahead or behind or whatever was previously posted, It depends on the child andhow they work. You will find kids in public schools ahead thier peers as well as ones that fall behind. My son has aspergers and severe ADD/SPD but is a year ahead of his age group where as my daughter is slightly behind. Good Luck!!
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I know two people who homeschool their kids. And both their kids are behind by half the school year. I think they spent too much time taking field trips instead of doing actual work!
    But as for me I almost kept my daughter home to school her, but the first day she wanted to sleep in I sent her back to school!
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 2:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• We homeschool our kids and they are both ahead of their public school counterparts. As for requirements, it all depends on where you live. For example, we are in Oklahoma and do not participate in any of the state testing nor are we required to teach to their curriculum. I like that because while we do include the state standards (so that the girls will never be "behind") there just isn't enough to them to fill a whole year for us, and while fine arts may be in the standards, no elem school is required to teach it. Homeschooling is work and does take discipline on the part of the parent. Sure there are going to be days when your kids want to sleep in, but there is nothing wrong with that. We complete all of our subjects everyday in nearly half the time it takes the public school kids to accomplish less, so who cares if they sleep in once in a while? I would be happy to give you more info if you are interested (c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• homeschooling is an effort. It's not something to compare others to with others families though. It's individual, just as anything in life. We aren't all the same, but it's state run if you go by enrollment. Unless you are a quaker, amish, or something that isn't run by state quota's for time than it's probably going to be just like school, minus the bus, the teacher, minus the 32 other children. The same paper work, testing, and the same types of subjects.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 2:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• my dd has a peanut/tree nut allergy & the school she would go to for Kinder can not guarantee her safety....so this is why I am asking we may have too until she is old enough to understand & take care of herself more re: her allergy if something were to happen.....its such a worry.
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• thx scoutmom but I am in Canada so its different rules here I'm sure i am waiting to have my DD retested before we decide whats going to happen.
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2011