Double standards for work related travel (vent)

I have a fabulous opportunity to go to another state for work this summer. Hubby was all for it when I told him about the project and how interested I was in going to the coast to work with this guy for the 3 month summer break.

Well, the guy called and wants me to come out and work with his crew and project. Now all of the sudden DH is pouting, and whining. Doesn't help when we have talked to friends and they are horrified that I would consider leaving poor helpless hubby all alone for the ENTIRE summer......

I know that if I was the male, and had the opportunity to work on a project that 1) could change our knowledge of our US history, 2) lead to a full time year round job 3) enable to move to NC, where we have always talked about retiring to 4) the professional opportunity of a lifetime for me.....people wouldn't give it a second thought....uuurrrrrgh.....

emptynstr

Asked by emptynstr at 2:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• Your husband is a grown man and can take care of himself for a summer. If he can't, this is a fine time for him to learn. It's pretty selfish of him to be acting this way when you have such an amazing opportunity. If he really can't live without you that long, encourage him to take some vacation time and come out and visit you. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• No, I think people (like my family) would be horrified if my DH left us for the entire summer. I mean, I know the military does it, but thats why I waited until DH was out of the military to marry him. They feel bad for me now since he is away 14 hours a day.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• But, I just wanted to add, I don't think that should stop you from doing what is the best for your family. My last response made it sound like you shouldn't go, and that's not what I meant.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I hope you do it anyways. Why did your DH change his mind?

Answer by louise2 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I think that is sounds like a fantastic opportunity! Good luck

Answer by rkoloms at 9:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2011