Who has a child with a food allergy?

What is the allergy & how serious is it?

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My four year old son is allergic to fish, shellfish, nuts, pine nuts, and soy. Soy is the big one and could cause a lot of trouble even if he came into contact with a small amount.  Epi-pens follow him at all times. I didn't know much about soy allergies until my son was diagnosed with it. It sure has made grocery shopping interesting as soy can be found in most food products. Anyways, we manage and life is still good.  
    Nikki7474

Answer by Nikki7474 at 4:56 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Mine dairy and bananas. He can have some dairy but no bananas. Banana's make him break out in hives anda really bad rash on his body.And instant diarrhea.

Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My daughter is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish. On the test scale of zero to 5 she's a high 4 for most of her allergens. We carry EpiPens and avoid products that have the potential for cross contamination. She's reacted to a bag of pretzels with a may contains label once. bleck.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My son is allergic/sensitive to dairy, soy, eggs, sesame, peanuts, gluten & lentils. He must actually ingest the foods to have a reaction to them, so we don't have to worry too much about accidental exposures. His food allergies are actually though to be related to EE (eosinophilic esophagitis) and when he eats foods that he shouldn't, he can have trouble swallowing, develop a body rash, develop a fever and/or have behavioral issues.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My DD has a lactose allergy. It's not life threatening or anything, but it sure does make her uncomfortable if she has milk!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My son is allergic to soy and food coloring. If he touches food coloring he'll get a rash in that area. If he eats food coloring he breaks out in hives all over his body, becomes hyperactive and challenging. If he eats soy, it attacks his immune system and heightens his other allergies (environmental). It also effects his digestive system
    WildtreeMommy

Answer by WildtreeMommy at 11:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:08 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My DS has Eosinophlic Esophagits and can not eat milk, soy, eggs, chicken, beef, or strawberries. He recently started eating corn and rice again and so far no problems. His allergies are delayed reaction type, he can eat anything here and there but the damage is done on a microscopic level. After a few days of eating something bad, he will have a reaction and his throat will start hurting.

DD has either Eosinophilic Duodenitis or Celiac Disease. She can't eat any milk products, oats, or wheat, but since we suspect celiac disease she is completely off all Gluten.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:11 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• we keep a supply of safe donut holes and cupcakes in the freezer in the nurses office. When there are like items brought into the classroom for some reason, DD goes to the nurse and gets one of her treats. We make them extra special and fun. She sits at the end of her lunch table and the children next to her must have a peanut free lunch. There is a cafeteria aide assigned to keep on eye out for her. EpiPens and Benadryl are kept on site. There are two nurses in the building and additional staff trained in the Epis in case both nurses are unavailable. DD is always given a teacher open to communicating 24/7. I can reach her teacher at any time via email or cell phone and she, in turn, can reach me the same way. At back to school night I get to talk to the parents about Meg's allergies. In the spring Meg does a presentation to her classmates about food allergies to help educate them. It's been a great experience so far.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:57 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• ldmrmom I can relate my DD has the same allergy we are having her retested in June praying she has out grown this sometimes it happens, how do you deal with her being at school? is it a peanut free school? I may have to home school my girl for 2 or 3 yrs until
    she is older
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2011