How much should I charge for babysitting?

A friend has suggested me as a babysitter to her friend(not sure on the age of the baby) and I have no idea what to charge. I do cloth diapers at my house so she would save money there. I cook for my own kids so she wouldn't have to worry about food either. The mom is a grad student.

mlregalado

Asked by mlregalado at 2:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• i would charge maybe 50 for an 8 hr day and 7 for longer
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• You really only can charge what the mom can afford... You can't be too much higher than a daycare or they would never agree to. I would suggest looking at daycare rates in your area and charging less than that if it's for the entire week. If it's daily you can charge a bit more.
    ConcernedMom141

Answer by ConcernedMom141 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If the mom is a grad student, she may not have the means to pay you a high rate. I'd call a few centers and make an offer slightly lower than what they charge.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• go to craigslist for your community, call around, see what others charge. rates vary widely depending on where you are.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I charge $25 per day/per child up to 9 hours a day.Thats meals included.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Check out what people make/charge in your area at care.com. You can get a good idea of what the going rate is. And keep in mind there is a cost to you if your diapers and food are used. Don't make your hourly rate less because of that.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2011