When should my son start talking?

My son has been early at everything he's done. Help is head up the day he was born, crawling at 4 months, walking at 7 months. He's 13 months now but all he says is "ya". Shouldn't he be saying more by now like mama, or dada?

SarahShirey

Asked by SarahShirey at 2:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well, some kids work more on their physical things, than their social things, and vise versa. like my son started saying words early, like momma, dadda, car, ect. before he was 1, but then again, he "army" crawled until he was 1, then started crawling on hands and knees when he turned 1, then was walking by 14 months. also, do you read to him, or talk to him normally? these things are really what helps them. my son is 20 months, and i have always talked to him like he was a big kid and understood me, and now he can say things like, "where's Diego?" (which i'm getting tired of Diego now...ugh), "what was that?" Where's dadddy? "There he is!", car (pro. caw), tree (tee), toy, stuck (pronounced kuck), ect. although he doesn't say them perfectly, and i'm the only one who knows what he's saying
    Anonymous

• My LO didn't really start talking until he was about 18-20 months. A lot of boys will wait until they are after 2 to talk. Your LO has prolly been concentrating so hard on motor skills that he hasn't gotten around to talking yet. I wouldn't worry about it until he was 2 1/2.
    BTW, my LO was like your's, really advanced with motor skills, crawling at 5 months, walking at 10. But took his time to talk and do sign language. I think it's just a boy thing.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 2:16 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• (what mother doesn't know what their kid is saying, while anyone else looks at them like they just spoke japanese...lol), at least he knows what he's saying. has he had alot of ear infections? he may need tubes, if so. that also stops them from speaking. do you give him a pacifier? if so, when does he get it? if it's throughout the day, that's something that stops their language development. my son still get it, but only for bed time. if you're really worried, you can ask his doctor about it. just remember, it takes time for kids to learn things. it doesn't just happen overnight. GL
    Anonymous

• It's no big deal. I've had two of mine barely say much till they were almost 3, then they just started saying sentences! It's like they didn't want to do the one-word thing. And boys tend to be much more physical and less verbal. Just enjoy him. BTW, I'm a mom of 8 and clinical psychologist, so I just want you to know it's not just some dumb opinion. I know everyone is into speech therapy early these days, but I don't think it's necessary, except in certain situations.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 2:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2008