Formula problems

my little girl is 10 weeks old and when she was first born they put her on enfamily lipil new born but that made her belly hurt so we switched her to enfamil gentlease.. she is still very gassy and fussy.. she cant finish the bottle yells all scruntched up been using mylicon drops thats not helping either.. anyone know what kind of formula might help her?

datgurlmeggy

Asked by datgurlmeggy at 2:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's only 10 weeks. Relactate.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Sounds just like acid reflux.. both my kids suffered severely...acid reflux causes them to struggle through feedings. I would try to go to an even more gentle non milk based formula such as nutramigen or alimentim. But I would take her to the doc and explain her symptoms because there is more you can do to help her. Good Luck and if you'd like to reach out to me feel free because this hits very close to home, after two kids like this and one still suffering I have learned so much.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I was only able to nurse my first until she was 8 months old, and the second we switched her to formula, she did the same thing. She couldn't poop and her stomach was upset all the time. My dad said I did the same thing when I was a baby and that it was the iron in the formula. We switched to low iron and that was the end of it. I agree with trying to relactate if you can....I was able to nurse my second child much longer and we had zero problems with gas, poops, tummy, spitting up...nothing.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Try pumping. I bet you still have milk.
    Anonymous

• I do not want to put down anybody's answers, for all I know they are right, but speaking from experience both my sons struggled with breast milk as well because if they have a milk protein allergy breast milk will still make them gassy. Also, there was studies done that there was no connection between iron and constipation in infacts. Just some more opinions..
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I love how all these breastfeeding moms like to make formula feeding moms feel bad for giving their babies formula.
    Keep trying different formulas, maybe the baby will do better on soy.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I have to rebutt again and i'm so sorry i keep disagreeing with all these people commenting because wood1980 I gave you a one up.. but i've learned through my endevoures that if a baby has a sensitivity to milk that 9 times out of 10 they will not be able to digest soy.. and my stubborn butt tried it out anyway and it failed miserably. But who knows.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If you WANT to nurse, it is not too late to start. If that's NOT what you want, I would speak to the doctor and get their take on it. You say she can't finish a bottle, have you tried smaller bottles, maybe more often? Maybe smaller bottles, combined with burping more frequently, will help. Maybe a different BOTTLE, rather then a different FORMULA will help. I do agree with mlmsm, that MANY people who are intolerant to cow milk are also intolerant to soy, but not EVERYONE.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• "Milk Protein" allergies are dairy specific. Not associated with species specific milk.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:14 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Wood, I don't think anyone is trying to make anyone feel bad or guilty, but we DO want this mom to know that even though she isn't nursing NOW, she can, if she wants to, and that it might help baby's tummy. (of course, I don't know the reason OP didn't nurse in the first place, so my saying it is possible, would mean it is possible, if mom and baby are healthy enough to nurse)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2011