How bad is Fifth's Disease?

A friend of mine just took her daughter to the dr. and they think she may have it but the dr. isn't sure. I googled it and from everything I read it's a pretty common, mild childhood disease. Can it be really serious though?

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 2:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Kids' Health

• bump
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Both of my two youngest had fifths. Both were normal mild cases of it with no complications at all. I would guess that there is always a possibility that any childhood disease can be serious depending on many other factors.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Not really. It has to run it's viral course. The itchiness is the worst part. They need to take benedryl or something from the Dr. so the itch is minimal. Secondary infections from too much scratching are really the only problem I've ever seen with it in kids. My son had it when he was 22 and that was a little more intense. He was pretty miserable. After the rash went away his joints ached for weeks. By the time the rash appears the fever is usually gone. Sometimes really small kids don't even itch much.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• All my kids have gotten it... they were all really little when they got it and it wasn't much a problem for them.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It's just a virus. Nothing you can do to treat it. It only lasts a few days. My kids had it. No big deal.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It is a huge deal if you are pregnant and exposed to 5th disease - can cause birth defects or even miscarriage. For a child to have it, no big deal.

Answer by missanc at 2:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Its nothing. A lot of children get it and the parents never know it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Once the rash appears they are no longer contagious as long as there is no fever.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• For a child, it's pretty much harmless. However, it's very dangerous for pregnant women to be exposed, as it can be fatal or disfiguring for the fetus.
    Anonymous

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:08 AM on Mar. 26, 2011