What can I do?

My baby has the pinkeye what can I do to relieve it? I don't have insurance is there a medicine I can get from a store or does anyone know whether or not a dr will see her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nothing over-the-counter works for pink eye, that I'm aware of. You'll need a prescription. You'll need to go to the doctor for that. Just call around and see who will take you in for a doctor's visit. If you already have a doctor, then call him/her up and ask if they can call in a prescription with out an appointment. Some doctors will.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 2:28 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• If she truly has pink eye she needs antibiotic eye drops to get rid of it. It needs to be treated because it is a serious infection of the eye. It is also highly contagious so you need to be vigilant about hand washing every time you come anywhere near contact with her eye so you can avoid spreading it to yourself and others. If you don't have insurance for meds, sometimes doctors have samples that they can give you. So definitely ask if that is a possibility. I'm not a natural remedies person, so I don't know if there is something you could buy at a natural foods or remedies store that has antibiotic qualities. Someone else might have better info on that for you.
    bkbecca

Answer by bkbecca at 2:28 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Lots of people say to put a couple drops of breast milk in each eye that is infected. If you are breast feeding that might be an option. Something about the natural antibiotics in the milk. If you are truly worried, I would say go see a dr. Most drs will work with you even if you don't have insurance. You might have to call around and just tell them that you are self pay. It's more expensive usually, but check it out at least.
    Babyness

Answer by Babyness at 3:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I don't have any advice for the pinkeye. I don't have insurance either, but I've found most doctors offer a very nice discount for people paying cash, so you might call a few and let them know your situation and see what they can do for you. My son's ped charges us half or less than what they'd bill an insurance company just because we are cash customers.
    ashuiren

Answer by ashuiren at 1:52 AM on Nov. 27, 2008