How do I keep my 2/12 yr old from picking nose till it bleeds. Her Dr. had no answers

She is constantly picking her nose till it bleeds, and it bleeds a lot. Dr. said to get her dress up play cloths and tell her now that she looks beautiful she can't pick her nose because it'll ruin her pretty cloths. Now she only picks her nose when she dosn't have her cloths on. So I try to keep them on, but it's getting hot and she won't wear them for long. So now what do I do in the mean time!

lopeza

Asked by lopeza at 11:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would try redirection to an item she can pick at safely. Something with a fun texture maybe? Redirect without giving her full on attention for doing it, to keep from reinforcing the behavior.
    faeriemamma

Answer by faeriemamma at 11:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would find out if this is a symptom of something else. Like is there something shoved up there or a rash/itch of some kind. To pick it until it bleeds is strange....It would hurt. Ask the little bugger(pun intended) if there is something up there or why she is touching her nose. Does it hurt...Even could be some kind of sinus infection. good luck playing detective . LOL...just nose around a bit!!! LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 12:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008