"Mom, what is a virgin?"

When my son was doing the classes for his first communion at age 7, there was a lot of talk about the Virgin Mary and the virgin birth of Jesus. One day as we were in the car driving he asked that question.
I tried to give him the church approved answer, that "it was someone who is pure of spirit and of heart", but he wasn't buying it. He said..."That isn't true, what does it really mean?"

Flabbergasted I blurted out..." It is someone who has never had sex."

"MOMMMMM...You didn't have to say THAT!"

OMG...4 years later I am still cracking up about it.

Have your kids ever asked that question and how did you respond?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 3:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm a coward. I just say "I don't know" and change the subject!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• AHHHHHHHHHH!!! lol my son asked me that too..i stuttered..i looked like a deer caught in head lights and then i quickly changed the subject haha
    not the best thing..but we'll come across it again,lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• They never asked, but if they had I would have no problem answering. They are 9 and 11 and we talk about sex regularly whenever they have a question or we see/hear something that I feel a need to respond to/talk about.

Answer by missanc at 3:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• ROFL...that's awesome!
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• We talk about sex too, we had just had another baby a few months before the question and had the where do babies come from discussion, many times. I don't believe in hiding things from my kids either, but I was surprised that he was asking that question at age 7. And his response was just classic!
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My kids were watching Family Guy a week or so ago. And there were a couple of women kissing. My 4yo looked at me and says "Mom, are you gonna marry a girl?" I said No, I married your daddy, he's a boy. He said "Two girls is weird" I said "It's not weird it's just different." He said "Well, why would a girl marry a girl?" I said "Cause they love each other like mommy & daddy do." He says "Oh, okay." Then a little bit later he says to me "Mom, to girls have sex when they get married like you and daddy?"

When I was done laughing, I just said "yes, but you don't have to worry about it cause you're a boy." And I ran in the other room...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Not yet! lol I don't know what I'd say!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Yes my daughter asked me where babies come from. She just turned 6. I asked her where do YOU think they come from? She told me she thought that fairies came and put a little baby in your stomach and the baby grew and grew and got really big and when it was time for the baby to come out, mom and dad went to the hospital. I said and then what? Then the fairies all come around and do a magic spell and the baby comes out and everyone is happy. At this point I was trying hard not to laugh. She said so is that right? I said YES That is EXACTLY right. My husband was like I cant believe you said that to her. I said, shes 5, Ill tell her the truth before she gives birth later in life.

Answer by gemgem at 3:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I just tell em, whats the big deal? Not like sheltering them is going to keep them from learning about sex (in this day and age).
    Librarianwoman

Answer by Librarianwoman at 3:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Too Cute!! Out of the mouth of babes. My sons never asked !! Phew!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2011