When does the "discipline" began?

My son is 10 months old. Yes, I am obviously his Mother, and want to think the best of him, but have honestly been told mutiple times, he's very advanced for his age.. then again, what person is going to tell you "Btw, your son is lagging and seems dumb" right?!? lol
Anyways, we've taught him a lot, he understands the word "No". we took time over and over again, taking his hand away from items or whatever he wasn't suppose to be doing and he's been real good at paying attention. Lately though, he's been pushing the limits alot. He stands up in the bathtub and we constantly make him sit back down. I don't want him standing for obvious reasons and of course hitting his head on the fawcett. He throw himself lastnight when I made him sit back down. the water was only maybe an inch so he didn't get hurt. But I let him sit there and cry for a min, I then picked him up and said "See, that's why we don't throw ourselves. Mommy loves you, but that was a no no and exactly why Mommy didn't want you standing up in the first place"..I wanted him to "learn his lesson" hoping perhaps he won't throw himself again in the tub like that. Now, I'm feeling guilty, like maybe he's to little to get all that, maybe I'm being to hard on him. No matter how many tantrums he throws he is a "baby:.. He was more surprised and angry then hurt. And I've been able to tell the difference between his "hurt" crying and angry cry. when he's angry its just some screaming, throwing himself and no tears. When he's hurt, he crys tears. I don't want to coddle him, I want him to learn things, but I also don't want to neglect him. I'm rambling, but I guess I'm asking if I did the right thing lastnight? Should've I picked him up immediatly? Do you comfort immediatly a boo boo if your child hurt themselves due to being disobediant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think discipline starts early - kids can understand much earlier than they can talk. I also used a if . . . then approach with my little kids (ie if you don't sit down, then you will have to get out of the tub; if you hold my hand then you can walk, if not then you will have to ride in the cart, etc.). It may take a couple of times, but they quickly start to understand the consequences of their actions. Praise for doing something good goes a long way, even for little things (I love how you're sitting in the tub!).
    If they hurt themselves, I always make sure that they aren't really "wounded" and comfort them but when they've calmed down, I go back to my point and make sure they understand.

Answer by missanc at 3:14 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If you beleive your child understood then you did fine. With my DS when he does something he has been told not to do and gets hurt I go to him to make sure it is not serious. Then I tell him see that is what happens when you do that. That is why you are not suppose to do that. he is 22 months and I know he understands. You have to do what you think is right. It's never fun to disapline and I think as mothers we are always 2nd guessing ourselves.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• i always comfort her when she gets hurts! my dd is very sensitive and will throw herself on the floor and cry when u tell her no! and she is only 1! wat a drama queen! make sure to tell them no or what word u chose to use and then explain y! if u just say no they will never understand! good luck! im right there with u!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• The first time you tell your child no and stop the behavior, you have disciplined them. You just have to be consistent and evolve your discipline as they age.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I think you did fine. Just remember that children do things over and over because this is how they learn about things. It is not to irritate their parents (at this age). Knowing that can help a lot to get through situations. Browse child development books at a good book store. It is well worth it. Enjoy that baby!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Ur a good mom.But wait another yr it will be worse I have 4 kids I love them dearly.Discpliin is a must.But never use force.Talking and time out is the best.If ur child wants ur attinchion he will do any thing to get it.When he gitts hurt hold him and show him you are there for him.He will want that from you.
    ozzydane

Answer by ozzydane at 12:31 AM on Mar. 26, 2011