For a first time mom...

For a first time mom...what is something I should prepare/know about labor?

jessiskinner200

Asked by jessiskinner200 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• stay calm n relax..and have a good support team..
    cammay

Answer by cammay at 3:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Bring granola bars for after you deliver. When the nurses wake you up to feed baby at 3am you willbe hungry and the kitchen won't be open.

Also, labor and delivery can hurt. Delivery feels the same with or without an epidural (contractions aren't as intense w an epi, bit the actual birth is the same). Recovery is so much easier without having an epidural.

It's one very intense day (labor). Once it's over tho, it is the most amazing thing ever. Congratulations!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 3:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• You will probably say and do things that you would never think you would. I actually ordered everyone of my family out of the room at one point. Also, I had heard that some women release bodily fluids even have bm when this happens and I thought it was gross and wouldn't happen to me, well, I was wrong, it happened, But it is also nothing to be embarassed about. And rest as much as possible in the last weeks, I know I got bored but it was worth it, because it is the most physically demanding thing any human could ever go through. With that said, once you see your newborn for the first time and look into her/his eyes then none of that makes any difference in the world. Good luck and congratulations.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• That woman have been doing this for a looong time and your body is naturally made to do this and you can do it. Relax and congratulations!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Preparation is very valuable for a safer-happier experience. Start with thinking about your preferences and then go about learning how best to achieve them.

You have endless options, even if it's not made aware to you, YOU get to choose as you wish.
    If you don't know your options you don't have any.

Mind-over-matter!

Who you hire for your maternity care is probably your biggest risk factor.

Enjoy this special, fleeting time!
    :-D

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Have a good support team!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Go to lamaz it really does help! Read the book The Midwife by Jennifer Worth. The whole time I kept thinking if those women (from the book) can do it, so can I. Good Luck!
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• don't call people until after you've had the baby. i had like twenty people in my room while i was throwing up in pain and my mom used the fact that i was a little high to worm her way into the room during the birth after we told her (my hubby and i) that we wanted it to just be us.
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 3:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Yeah unfortunately I cannot get an epidural because of a spinal surgery I had a few years ago. It's fine though because my mom had 3 children and not one epidural. So I'm sure if any other woman can do it I should be able to also.
    jessiskinner200

Comment by jessiskinner200 (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• know that ur first baby can take hours of labor! lol also bring some things to do while you wait like books, cards, dvd things like that
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 4:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2011