Do you think people just don't know the phrases they are using?

Today alone, I've seen:

"could care less" as opposed to "couldn't care less"

"whole hardally" as opposed to "whole heartedly"

"make ends meat" as opposed to "make ends meet"

To me, it seems as though you should be able to figure it out for yourself. How does "meat" fit in to what you're saying?

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 3:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in About CafeMom

• You make me laugh, lady! You sit here and complain people can't use words right when you just make a mistake. It is choose not chose.

I chose to do some things yesterday, and I will choose to do some things later today, too. Tenses are cool! If she chose to rip on that other answer ten minutes ago, she could've, and she still has the option to choose to do so later. And it seems to me, this isn't an issue of typos and grammar, but one of people not understanding the colloquialisms they use. It's a similar issue to misheard lyrics, where people run around singing Give me the Beach Boys and free my soul, Scuse me while I kiss this guy or there's a bathroom on the right.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• make ends meat

The mental images...make them stop.

And I do think a lot of them just don't know - see: would of should of could of (that hurt to type)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Maybe they were cooking a pair of rump roasts. They could care less how they meet and hardally have a heart?
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 3:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Apparently, I've offended someone who has spent the last 30 years singing about the bathroom :(
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Who cares? This "is not" school and I'm sue we are not graded on typos..
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Who said affects my day? Just an observation. BTW, if I so chose, I could "bash" your answer as well.

You make me laugh, lady! You sit here and complain people can't use words right when you just make a mistake. It is choose not chose.

Anonymous

• LOL...I have days that no matter what I do, I can't spell anything right...and I went through a couple courses of English in college...I find that some things I say are corrected by friends who were raised in different areas of our state...I honestly think a lot of it is spelling errors, and they spell it the way it sounds to them. I know I still have issues with seen and saw, and was reminded recently that if you say have before seen/saw it is supposed to be seen... I also have issues using me and I...I figure I'm an adult and as long as I can articulate enough for people to get the gist of what I mean..it's okay. (spell check doesn't seem to hurt either... Google chrome comes with it lol)
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• All those are very easily mixed up, IMO. Meat and meet are pronounced the same, so you know what they are talking about. Hardally is something I've never seen before, so I'm not sure about that one. I use "I could care less" all the time, because to me it makes more sense.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Stik O'round, Ya Aint Seen Nuttin Yet! LOL! Just kidding but some things on here crack me up. It's really just entertainment.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It is choose not chose.

It is, except for if she meant it past tense. The feel of her comment was past tense thus making chose the appropriate word.

silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 3:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2011