• In the Spotlight:

Apartments and kids....

My 3yr old daughter and I just moved into a new apartment about 2weeks ago. Before this we were on the ground floor, now we are ome the 2nd floor. The neighbor below us is an elderly man. Everytime he sees me coming in or out or the apartment he tells me I better keep my daughter quiet or he'll have us removed. He says all he hears in the evenings when we are home are feet pattering. I am really getting irritated and have never dealt with a neighbor like this. She is 3! Of course shes going to move around! At first I thought he was hearing her jump or something so I have made her stop jumping. Since he still comments all the time, I guess he just hears he walking. What am I supposed to do? Not let her walk in the apartment I am paying$900 a month for??? Like she lives here! I am at a total lost. He has lived here for years and so its like I am sure if I took it to the apartment managers it would be his word against mine :( any advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put down area rugs. It will help.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• He sounds crotchity!! Take it to the apartment managers and see if maybe they have a comparable apartment in another building.
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Buy him earmuffs the old fart! Or if there is another apt. available in the complex, maybe you could ask to move to it. Speak to the Manager. If this guy is already complaining about you, he probably has a history of it & the manager knows.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If I were you, I'd go talk to the manager, and see what can be done. Is there a ground level unit available you can move into? I realize moving sucks (especially with kids), but it might be worth a month of stress to save years of stress while living there, ya know? I agree, it's not realistic to expect your child to be quiet. Most people I know that live below kids hear every step, since kids tend to heavy-footed. I hope you guys can make peace, or you can figure something out with the manager, and everyone can be happy. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I would nicely remind him all the sounds coming from your home are normal ones. Maybe offer him some home baked cookies.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 3:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• the apt managers hear alot of this. As long as ur paying your rent on time they likely wont care too much...... however I'd try and get on the waiting list for their next ground level opening. It'll ease the tension.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Go to the apartment manager now and tell them that he is complaining, but you are making sure that she is not being too loud. They knew who lived underneath your apartment before they let you move in. Regular noise is to be expected and as long as it is during a reasonable time of day, then you shouldn't worry.
    I do think it is a good idea to tall the managers so hen he goes to them, they already have the heads up that you are trying to prevent excess noise.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• As someone who lives in an apartment as well- I would very calmly but very bluntly tell him that these are some of the things that happen in apartments and that this is your daughter's home now and the management knew that you had a daughter when you applied for the apartment.

If it becomes an issue definitely speak to your landlord or management and explain that you are being harassed simply for living in your own apartment and ask them what they would suggest.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• OH - my Momma was an apt manager/caretaker while I was the ages of 6-8 1/2 or so. I showed no mercy to the tenant below us, I'd even roller skate just to tick them off. Her creative solution: offered to switch units. Extend an olive branch, offer it as a problem solving solution. It'll make u look compassionate and understanding.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I would let the manager know ahead of this old guy what's going on, and that he keeps giving you a hard time about it. Ask them what your supposed to do about it (that won't cost YOU money). But they have to provide you with a normal living experience just as much as the man that's complaining. Like you said, she's 3, you can't really do anything about that.
    Anonymous