Does anyone do continuum parenting?

I am very interested and want to know more about how it works? :]

Twinklights

Asked by Twinklights at 4:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• What is that?? Curious now. :o)
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 4:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• what is it
    shadowia

Answer by shadowia at 4:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I guess I did all that, but I didn't know that was the term for it. I am very much a hand's on momma, and my babies were with me for two solid years, then they started to play on their own.

My 6 year old still sleeps with me, and I love it! He is wonderful and cuddly!
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 5:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• No, and I disagree with the main tenets.

Answer by missanc at 9:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I have never heard of it. I raised three kids the usual way.LOL. They all became very sweet,intelligent,accomplished and independent adults who have their own children now. I don't agree that you have to read a book or take a class or follow that latest FAD such as attachment parenting or this one....continuum ? If you love your children, set a good example of being a responsible and caring human being, set limits,expect the best from them ,then your kids will turn out just fine.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Oh-and the basis is the relationship of the Mother and Father and their Marriage. You are a unit , a united front, the cornerstone of the family. PArents are not their kids' friends. They are in charge. They share their bed as a married couple and the children have their own beds. Your husband comes first and the kids do not interfere by sharing the marriage bed. .
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• hey, i had to google that! i thought it was some sci-fi term! Well, from what I've read I do everything but breastfeed. I fully believe in kangaroo care, it's always worked for us and I know that she'll be a better individual for it. I let our daughter sleep in our bed until she seen fit to not want to anymore - she was roughly 4-5 months. Everytime she cried, she was always answered and held. We always talk TO her, not AT her - this lets her know that she is part of the conversation, we've even worked with her on sign language which has helped her communication skills considerably. She's enjoyed constant cuddles from birth, and now when she's upset she knows it's ok. She understands that yes she is upset, but if she really needed us, we'd be right there. So, I fully believe it's making her into a normal, healthy, independent child.
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 5:22 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• So, this is just another word for attachment parenting? Because from what I'm seeing on the link I found, it's basically the same thing.

To answer the question, I don't really follow any one particular style of parenting. I've taken elements from different ones and made my own.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:53 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Sounds like the new word for Attachment Parenting.
    Anonymous

• He sleeps with us, we carry him around, we don't spank, I've never let him cry, we give him lots of affection and attention, we listen to him, but this is just because my instinct is to love him, protect him, not hurt him, be there for him when he needs me. My parenting style seems to match attachment or continuum or whatever but it wasn't because I read about these styles or anything, it just comes naturally I guess. I just love him so much.
    mommy2myles

Answer by mommy2myles at 5:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2011