How would I go about legitimately starting my own business from home? *MOMMIES WHO OWN A BUSINESS*

I love my job, don't get me wrong. I enjoy working outside of the home... and even if I DID start a home based business I would still send my children to daycare so that I could go out on the town and market my business. My children would still attend public school. I may even consider a part time job somewhere.

My job has taken a nose dive in my eyes. They have sold out to big companies and no longer seem to be the caring people I would prefer to work for. They don't even seem to give a turd about the people they are supposed to be helping.

But how could I go about starting a legitimate home based business?

I do not want to join a company that is already established... they're all pyramid schemes IMO (just being honest so don't bother to contact me if you have one... I am NOT interested). Even the one's that claim they aren't.

I am good at crafts. I am excellent with organization. I excel at marketing and business practice.

I have considered home based photography but feel I am not good enough to do it professionally. I thought about offering photography for first born pictures of infants and such that wouldn't be THAT complex compared to other photography, but like I said... I don't know if I am professional worthy.

I have considered making and selling scrubs (uniquely designed one's and custom fitted for pregnant women or people of differing heights/weights/etc. even at no extra charge - because honestly it isn't that much extra work IMO). I actually live in an area with tons of doctor offices, medical equipment companies and hospitals, etc.

My issue is TIME. I do not have time to start anything (if I did it in my spare time currently I literally would have MAYBE 30 minutes a day TOPS to work on it and that wouldn't get me anywhere, not to mention there are so many other things that need my time right now). Between working 40+ hours weekly (I get up at 6am and don't get home until about 6:30pm, then still have to cook dinner and do the mommy thing), having one child in school and one about to start Pre-K, two that constantly require going to doctor visits and specialists, my SO, etc.... I feel like being at home more would be SOOO beneficial to my life.

BUT I am not a 100% at home body. It just isn't ME. {A "fault" if you will... but I can ADMIT to it.}

Sooooo (after excessive rambling) what steps does one take to start their own idea for a business? Do you have a home based business? What sort? What did you do to start it?

I need help and I need info.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 4:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• You can very simply start any business you want from home. All it takes is planning and time. Time is the biggie. If you start something from home, even if you do something as daycare, painting, or even auto repair, it still takes time. Time before the money starts rolling in and time to plan the business itself. There are many, many things to do at home. If you are looking for ideas, go to Craiglist and check out the small business ads (it's located under the Services tab) there. Don't just search your town, but pull up randoms cities and search! Get ideas and turn them into something you'd enjoy... that's how businesses are made!

I blog about ideas and opportunties as well, including the above-mentioned idea.  You are more than welcome to read my blog at Mavi's Home Work.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If you don't have time then in all honesty I don't think a home based business would work for you. Time is one thing you need whether you start a business on your own or join a pre-existing company. I would suggest to find something you enjoy doing and do it as a hobby to become more skilled at it and when you have time to put into a business, you could take that hobby and make it a business. GL.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 5:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My spouse and I both started home-based companies in 2006. He has a handyman business, I do career and job search coaching, and freelance bookkeeping and business organization (along with medical billing and small business marketing). You are welcome to send me a message with any questions

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It is true that starting a business, no matter what kind, will take a lot of time. You should lower your expectations about income you will earn with your own business since you already know you are not focused. If you treat your income as a bonus to your spouses, you can happily work at your own pace .

Also, stay open minded about direct sales as an option, just choose a well known company with a good reputation that hasn't gotten bad press lately (I heard Avon is pushing recruiting so much the market saturated). I started my own business from scratch (selling robots) and had to learn sales with no experience. It was hard, but I stuck with it and once I learned how to sell, I was open to selling anything. Now I work from home selling robots and Tupperware. You might consider direct sales as a first step because you can gain valuable sales experience without a huge upfront investment of time.

Hope this helps!
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 3:29 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It sounds like you are not interested in a Network Marketing company, however you don't have time to start your own from scratch. That's tough. Starting a business from scratch is very costly and time consuming. I tried that and still have a ton of inverntory (cha-ching). The beauty of a network marketing company is that the most time consuming areas are already taken care of for you. Market research, distribution, inventory, packaging..and on and on...are all taken care of by the corporate office. I would never start anything from scratch. Too risky. For the small investment you have to make in a network marketing company, the return can be huge!!! It's all up to you. It sounds like you are very determined and goal oriented. You would be very successful.
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 8:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• No-one with any useful advice?
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I'm with Mia Bella's and it's not a pyramid scheme. I sell a product, I don't have to recruit but I can. I feel that it's wrong to "label" all established companies schemes just because you haven't found a legit 1. I have a business license and I pay taxes, I started with my home based business for over 3 years and I love it.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 6:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I know you mentioned that you don't want a company that has been in business for a long time, but in my opinion that is the type of company you want to be partnered with. I wouldn't want to start with a company that has just started to end losing my time and money (If I had to invest) because the company closed it's doors. I work from home and I love it! I am a stay at home Mommy to my 3½ year old son, and 2 year old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Weekly pay! Free website, training, and unlimited support!! It's not for everyone. but I love it!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping Families Achieve Their Goals Since 1999!
    Visit my website to get all the details.
    www.OurCEOMom.com

Get to know our team on Facebook: www.LikeInternetCEOMoms.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 4:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2011