Ultrasound Q (multi parts)

how many did you have w/ each kiddo? Were they standard or the fancy kind? Were they all in a dr office or did you try out one of those free standing portrait studio type 4d stores? ... Also do you have any personal info of your own child or a case documented in a respected form of print (NOT the national enquirer!) of a child being born with complications or issues related to ultrasounds?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I am asking thus 'cuz I had read that post in the Stir about the potentially upcoming Womb View Belt and I was surprised how many anti ultrasound Moms there are. I cannot help but wonder if ultrasound ill/deformed/sick kids are an urban legend. I have only 2 kids and I had weekly ultrasounds, a few MRIs and other scans and all kinds of other things that would make a lot of pregnant Moms cringe. Baby #2 we stopped counting after 35 ultrasounds and even stopped taking the pictures home since we had a whole album and I was overwhelmed. Nothing for vanity all for valid medical reasons and kept me alive and produced 2 healthy perfect flawless and medically rockstar babeez.
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• While I have not seen any studies showing they are bad I do know that there has NEVER been any study at all to show good or bad. There are many theories and I chose to have ONLY 1 ultrasound and that was at about 22 weeks. While I don't think they are horrible I also think they should be limited to medical necessity.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I had four with my first dd. And about fifteen with my second because I had placenta previa, kidney infections, steroid shots for preterm labor, dehydration, she wouldn't uncurl for a spin shot I had to go five times for that one. I looked it up once it said ultrasounds are kinda like microwaves they heat up the fluid which is bad we all know thats why were not suppose to take hot hot showers and hot tubs.And the babys can't get away from it which stresses them out. My dd has PVC which is makes her heart work more then it should i think its from all the ultrasounds or that steroid shot i didn't need she was born full term but small only 6.1lbs. but nows shes 7 month and 21lbs! so she made up for it ha.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• 1 u/s each with 4 of my 5, 2 with the other - and only because I was cramping so bad at 12 weeks they wanted to check it out. We don't have fancy stuff (hospital just got 3d u/s last year), and no "freestanding u/s" places around here. Our docs around here don't believe in doing multiple unnecessary u/s unless you're high risk - and it was fine with me.
    Anonymous

• I had one, to guide the doctor when I had an amnio.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2011