School lunch. Is my friend right when she says that the chocolate milk is not good?

According to the ingredient list, the chocolate milk contains. Students have milk often in school. Do you see any :"BAD" ingredient here?
INGREDIENTS: NONFAT MILK, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP,. COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, CORN STARCH, SALT,. CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL FLAVOR, VITAMIN A, PALMITATE, VITAMIN D3.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If the carton milk is still as nasty as it was when I was going to school, I say chocolate milk is still a whole lot better than soda. If the white carton milk actually tasted good, then I would have chosen that instead of the chocolate milk.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Milk is milk is milk is milk. Sure, there's sugar, but there's sugar is EVERYTHING. If parents don't like school lunches, pack one.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 5:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• High fructose corn syrup.... its frankenfood. goes through too much processing to go from corn stalk to HFCS to be considered food or healthy.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• corn syrup
    Its not bad if you consider what they could be drinking instead,mainly soda. At least with the milk you get calcium and D.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I don't see anything bad, but I'm not a chemist either....I will say this...if you are asking because of the high fructose corn syrup....the answer is in serving sizes no it isn't bad....I hear that all the time...anything is bad for you if you sit on the couch and pile it in your mouth...but No I do not see anything that is bad in it as long as it is drank in a serving size.... (drank, drunk, great now I'm insecure about my tenses).
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• butterfly - do ANY schools in the U.S. still allow soda? I thought they were totally banned? And it's got as much sugar as soda..... so I don't see how it's any better. Your body can barely process the good stuff (vit d, calcium) when your organs are bombarded with such obscene quantities of chemicals and refined sugar.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• HFCS & Corn Starch processed sugars that are NOT good in any way shape or form
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• HFCS is basically sugar, which means the second ingredient is sugar. Ingredients are listed from highest content to lowest, which means chocolate milk is loaded with sugar. It's better to just give the kids regular lowfat or nonfat milk.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• * but our 1 cup carton of strawberry milk has 16 grams of sugar!*

Which is less than most brands of yogurt or apple sauce. 27 grams in a cup of strawberry yogurt! You would think that would be a healthier option for calcium right? Nope in that case. Your milk carton wins.
    Anonymous

• ok i'm a nutrition freak and a future doctor...seriously it's just a chocolate milk. it has calcium. he's not going to become obese from a chocolate milk. as long as he has a healthy lunch he's FINE.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2011