how to create payment leverage with customers

Another problem that I need to weed out. The biggest issue is getting customers to be sincere. What's worse is when "friends" use their friendship as a con, and I'm not talking that they asked for free work. What they do is promise to pay and diss out when the work is mostly done. Short of killing my business with legal overhead to create contracts (or even up until that point), how would I approach this in a practical manner. And yes, I have said no to those asking for free work. I'm talking about con-artistry and con-artistry from "friends" that costs dearly.

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 2:57 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Money & Work

• I agree! You can purchase generic invoices from office supply stores, as well as pre-written contracts--where you just fill in the specifics. If someone is unwilling or unable to meet your terms, then I take it as a sign they either want something for nothing, or have no intention of paying--in which case, it's best to just move on and wait for a paying customer.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I don't know what kind of business you are talking about but can you charge half up front? Or charge half when you are half way done? That way if they don't pay you don't finish, and you aren't out the whole amount.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:03 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• half up front is a good idea.
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 3:46 PM on Nov. 26, 2008