Just an old wive's tale???

My son is starting to try to take his diaper off and my mom told me that she heard that means he is ready to start potty training. Is this just an old wive's tale or does it hold some truth? He is 16 months old....

aidengrant07

Asked by aidengrant07 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be a sign, or it might just be that your son has discovered a new thing...diaper tabs! I'd google potty training signs and see if he is showing any others. If it's just the diaper thing, then I'd move kinda slow because it may just be that he discovered that if he pulls on it, it will loosen and come off. He's at the age where cause and effect is so much fun to figure out. :)
    Babyness

Answer by Babyness at 3:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I just means he discovered a new game..... LOL My daughter has been doing this for a while now.... she's quite the little stripper. I can barely keep clothes on her at all.

If he seems really interested in the potty, it's a great opportunity to start introducing him to it. Just don't push if he doesn't want to try it. Kids pretty much decide on their own when they are ready to go in the potty. Pushing them before then just causes frustration for both parties.
    bkbecca

Answer by bkbecca at 5:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My son could take his diaper off before he was a year old, definately not ready to potty train then. He still isn't ready at 28 months quite yet. We had to get the Pampers Easy up pull up diapers for him because he was even taking them off through his clothes. If he is also interested in the potty and sitting on it and can tell you he is wet and does so frequently he may be starting to get interested in it. Whatever you do please don't push him, let him lead the way when it comes to potty training.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 6:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• If he's staying dry all night that's a much more telling sign of being ready to potty train. Chances are he's just discovered a new game.
    luvmycutebaby

Answer by luvmycutebaby at 6:14 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Yah, i think all kids go thru this. This is when you really start to love "onesies" that snap at the crotch, they cant get those off to play in thier diaper. After a wile they will get over it, it's a new funny game that gets your attention, lol.
    loriloriaustin

Answer by loriloriaustin at 10:32 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• It might be, or he might have just figured out how to take it off and thinks it's fun. I don't think it would hurt to get a potty chair for him and see if he's interested, especially if he's taking the diaper off just before or right after he goes.
    ashuiren

Answer by ashuiren at 1:46 AM on Nov. 27, 2008