So worried about my 4 year old's weight =(

and her doctors keep assuring me she's fine. i just don't believe it though! she's 4 and a half, turning 5 in October. she weighs 32 pounds, my 2 year old only weighs 4 pounds less than her! she has been petite and small since birth, she weigh 6.9 lbs at birth. but it seemed as she grew she kind of fit into her height. now she's super tall, 41.5 inches to be exact. her height is really high on the charts and her weight's only 3 percent.

at her last doctor's visit in january, they told me to put her on carnation instant breakfast twice a day with whole milk with meals. well here it is march and there is no change. she's gained 1/4 pound since June 2010. this can't be normal. why is it that she's growing heightwise, but not weight?

her stools have always been loose and rarely formed. at 1, they were examined and all the test results came back normal. it seems her food just goes right through her. ive tried changing all kinds of things in her diet, even putting her on a lactose free diet when she was 2 and cutting out juice completely. none of it worked. so now she is back on dairy, and gets a cup of juice per day (otherwise she drinks water). she is healthy, she eats anything she just doesn't eat alot. she gets full right away and then has to go to the bathroom.

im just tired of hearing that a 4.5 year old weighing 32 pounds is normal. she's sooo skinny! her 2 year old sister's legs are bigger than hers, her limbs are like sticks. her vertebrae is visible. her ribs are visible. what do i have to do to get her seriously checked out by someone? like i said her pediatrician doesn't believe anything is wrong. i highly disagree!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Have you gone to another pediatrician to get a second opinion? I dont know if anything is wrong, my almost 4 year old is about 36 pounds, and she is healthy, but if you feel like there is something wrong, then it really doesnt hurt to get a second opinion.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 5:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Go to another dr. Go several cities away if you have to. Don't take a refferal fron this current dr. because he/she will most likely give you a dr.'s name of a buddy that thinks the same way. That doesn't sound normal....my dd weighs that and she's perfect weight, turns 3 next month. My ds didn't weigh that low at that age either.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• hm my 4 yr old is 42 lbs and is really tall to for his age. if your really concerned about her weight i'd probably get a second opinion like Loving said.
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 5:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Celiac disease?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• we are moving next week so i plan to take her back to the pediatrician she saw as a baby. im not particularly fond of the one she's been seeing for the last year. hopefully this one will take my concerns more seriously. thank you!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• referral, sorry

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• my 4 year old weighs 40 lbs and the dr's keep telling me he is in the 97 percentile and is close to being over weight, so I don't think you're daughter has a problem at all.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• her old pediatrician was the one who sent her stools to be tested, so atleast he did SOMETHING. we moved shortly after (ex-military family) and i took the good stool test results as a sign to let it go. but that was when she was 1 and now she's 4 and her weight hasnt changed much. im looking forward to seeing him because he actually did something last time.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I'd take her to a different doctor if you're extremely worried about it. My daughter just turned 4 and weighs 37 pounds and is 40 inches. Could be that she just has a really high metabolism. You could try giving her Pediasure.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• @butterfly, is that also known as gluten allergy? my mom suggested that as well. i just googled it and she does have all 3 of the symptoms, bloating (when she's "full"), abdominal pain sometimes and loose stools. maybe i should put her on a gluten-free diet myself and see if anything changes.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2011