Any suggestions? Baby crying for 4 hours already!

My friend just called in tears. Her 6 month old has been crying for 4 hours, and she's out of ideas. She's given him 2 bottles (the formula isn't bothering him), he's peeing and pooping normally, he doesn't have a fever, she's tried Tylenol, his temp is normal, no hard belly, doesn't want to be picked up or laid down. I told her to call the doctor, because 4 hours isn't normal! She doesn't have anyone who can go help her (she's an hour and a half away, otherwise I'd be over there already). She said he was fine this morning, and doesn't sound like he's in pain, just angry at this point. I welcome any suggestions I can give her! She's calling the doctor now.

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 5:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes babies just need a good cry. My daughter did this for hours once but she was only like 3 months old I just let her cry she didn't want to eat or be held just to cry. I turned out all the lights and let her cry I turned on the TV and tried not to get too upset about it since I knew she was perfectly fine. He could be starting and ear infection they are super cranky then. Maybe take him for a walk that might divert his attention and the fresh air should knock him right out.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Have her check all of his appendages. Sometimes a stray hair from mom can wrap around a toe or finger and it goes unnoticed. She should check his penis too.

Just an idea....hope he feels better soon. Tell her to just lay him down in his crib and walk out of the room if she is getting to stressed out.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• very possible that he can have an ear infection...my dd doesn't fever when she gets them.
    sondamom0828

Answer by sondamom0828 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Yeah my son had a double ear infection and never ran a fever...I only found out b/c he had a cough I took him in for. I hope she finds out what is wrong! hopefully he's just being crabby and it's nothing serious! Good luck!
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Does she have a dryer she can set him in the bouncer on top of the dryer or load him into the stroller and walk around the block one of those will help.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• 4 hours is not unheard of for Colic - My sons colic sessions were each 3 hours long -multiple times a day even - I would have her bring him in to the DR incase its something internal bothering him but I would just rock my son and cry for hours..Gripe water and alimentum or nutramigen formula is used for colic also -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• although just starting at 6 months, this wouldn't/shouldn't be colic now that I think of it - my sons colic lasted until 6 months but started at birth so I would have her bring him in.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Undress him completely and make sure nothing is binding or pinching anywhere head to toe. Next tell her to press gently on the notch in front of his ear. Does he move away, make a face like he's in pain? Other than that check the gums. Is he teething?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• if she's looked him over physically and can't find any distress, have her try putting him in the car and just driving around for a bit. it may not work, but then again it might. it has worked for a lot of people i know.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 5:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• That once happened to us. We took my son to the ER. He stopped crying as soon as we got in. They checked him all over. But I think they thought we were crazy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2011