Medical Transcriptionist? Is that something you could do at home?

If so, any info from someone who is already doing it now? Thanks

4theloveofTink

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 5:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• if it is like medical billing and coding then yes you can i am currently going to school for it and i have read several things stating that you can do it from home.

mother3620

Answer by mother3620 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• yes this is something you can do from home..first you need to decide if you are going to charge by the page or by the words or have a flat rate...i don't do it but i am a nurse for a private practice and we use a small company that work out of their home...you need to come up with some templetes you can show your clients and decide what type of doctor you want to work for for example we are pain mgmt and allergy and asthma here and our people only do this type of doctor because that way they are familiar with the medical terms and things like that...some companys offer where the people can you a dictator where the transcripts or able to be logged up through internet and so far....the lady said she does very well with this this is her main source of income..just make sure you are on time and can give your clients a time frame where they can expect their reports go in to private practice either dressed professional or in scrubs
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 5:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• You can. My mom used to do it from home as her full time job for a group of doctors. The only thing is she got phased out. They are now talking into a machine that translates it electronically so there was no need for her to type it anymore. You might want to think about the new and upcoming technology before you commit to anything. Do some research!

I wish you the best of luck!
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 6:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I did it. I had my own business for a while when the kids were little, but I am not sure if they still allow you to do it how I did. I simply went around to the Dr's offices and found clients. I did that for a few years, but it was sooo much work. I do recommend finding jobs on MTDaily.com. I know they are all legit and once in a while they have openings for those with no experience. Good luck!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• As medical offices and hospitals move to EMR (electronic medical records), transcription and billing/coding are being phased out; in five years, they will no longer exist

Answer by rkoloms at 9:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2011