Mind your own business?

I often hear people ask why I don't just "mind my own business" regarding religious beliefs. I often hear that believers aren't harming anyone. So I offer you this..

"People's religious views inform their voting, how they raise their children, what they think is moral and immoral, what laws and legislation they pass, who they are friends and enemies with, what companies they invest in, where they donate to charities, who they approve and disapprove of, who they are willing to kill or tolerate, what crimes they are willing to commit, and which wars they are willing to fight. How could any reasonable person think that religious beliefs are insignificant."

I think we're all affected. What do you think?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Religious Debate

• eh to some degree I see your point. It is still THEIR choice and THEIR opinion. You don't have to like it.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I think unless they're pushing their beliefs on you personally,it's still none of your business, regardless of the quote you posted. Yes, religion may affect many things, but in THIS country, we have freedom of religion. I can't stand when people act like what religion (or lack of) someone else practices is their business, or like they have some right to try to change them. I know how to keep my nose where it belongs.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• We have freedom of religious so minding your own business comes from that. People are not going to change their beliefs no matter what anyone tells them. I am a believer myself and use my religion and things I have been taught to guide me through life. Inevitably that means it will affect how I vote, who I contribute to, and all the things you listed. I am sure there are as many people of different religions that balance what I believe in the opposite ways, and Atheists who do it as well.

Answer by gemgem at 5:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Where it perpetuates hate and prejudice, influences what's taught to our children in public schools (my local middle/high school offers a "Bible History" class, as if the stories in the Bible were accurate and true) and judgemental ideas that translate into laws for everyone, I agree.  If it had no affect on the rest of the population, and if religious beliefs were indeed simply personal, it wouldn't matter to me what anyone believed or worshipped, or if they worshipped anything.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Unless people are randomly approaching you on the street to ask, I'd say the better question is, why are people who are too scared to talk about religion poking around in the religious debate section of a website in the first place?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• NP, help me understand how your response has anything to do with the OP?

To quote your OP:
    "I often hear people ask why I don't just "mind my own business" regarding religious beliefs."

Now, if your premise is that this is honestly your defense to random people telling you to mind your own business, I'm wondering where you are finding these people if not here, which begs the question, why are they here. On the other hand, if you're just randomly copying and pasting this to start a discussion with the "other team" automatically put on the defensive, it seems rather disingenuous, and guaranteed to get you some heated responses. In other words, where is this need to defend yourself manifesting, and from whom? You are presenting what seems to be a one off occurrence as common, while at the same time presenting a very obvious set of conditions in defense of this one off occurrence.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• How could any reasonable person think that religious beliefs are insignificant."

Significant and someone else's business are two totally different things- people without religion do all of the things mentioned in the quote- is it my business to make sure they HAVE religion so they do those things in a certain manner-do I have to make sure that people believe what I think is a valid belief system just so I can rest assured they will make good choices- that seems kinda odd-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• LovingSAHMommy, you put that better than I've heard it put! Way to go!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Beliefs, religious or not, are very significant to all of us. How I vote, what businesses I support, my views on life in general are all formed by my personal beliefs. The results of my beliefs, to an extent, effect others as well.
    If those people don't like it...tough.
    All we can do is continue to fight for a world that we all find to be significant to ourselves and others. I would love it if all belief systems could find a common ground.
    But we seem more divided than ever. I'm not sure why that is.
    I will continue to live and make decisions based on my personal beliefs. As I am sure all others will as well.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Minnesotanice's post shows that even the non-religious can spout things that are dangerous- her post seems to say that she believes we went to war in Afghanistan because Bush said God told him to all because that is what she got from reading this thread-

Answer by soyousay 2 minutes
    *******************
    well, that IS what he said. DId you actually READ it?
    That is an example of your excessive prejudice against a person who thinks for herself ....ME.
    I'm sorry ,but you need to read that again.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2011