My 2 month old sons penis and foreskin are red and swollen, what could this be from?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Kids' Health

• did he get circumsized? if so, are you applying the cream they gave you on it? i'd check with the doc, just in case
    Anonymous

• Diaper rash, possibly. Or it's possible he could've gotten some fecal matter in there a little causing irritation.

As long has he's passing urine okay, just apply ointment, change him frequently, and clean him up really good after bowel movements.

If he starts having trouble peeing or running a fever or the redness starts 'streaking', then take him in to the Dr. to have a look.

But... just a word of caution... some drs are 'circumsize happy'. I had Drs tell me twice that my son "just needs to be circumcized". Both times he had a kidney infection -- had nothing to do with his penis.

Oh, and don't let anyone retract his foreskin --- it's not made to do that at this age --- he'll tear.

G'luck
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I agree with Laura1229, take him to an intact friendly doctor, one who won't retract, as that can cause damage.

It could just be diaper rash, just keep it clean at diaper changes, use some diaper rash cream and keep an eye on him. If he seems not really bothered by it, and it goes away by itself, he should be fine. But like she said, if it gets worse or he gets sick, take him to a doc.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 3:20 PM on Nov. 26, 2008