Entertainment for a 1 year old - 5 hour car journey?

Does anyone have any ideas how I can keep my bub entertained. We have some ideas but need more! Thanks :)

keyaziz

Asked by keyaziz at 3:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how many months? snack, toys, books, dvd player, if you can, coloring book...that's all i can think of right now...actually i think that's all we had for our 10hr trip...there was a lot of screaming, cuz he was born and wanted out of his carseat, but that was at those times where he didn't want anything but to get out. make sure you plan some extra stops so he can get off of his bottom for a little bit. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:15 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My poor son went with us on a 12-14 hour car ride....I felt so bad for him. We bought him a portable DVD player and took his favorite baby Einstein DVD's for him. He did really well. We also brought along several of his favorite toys to play with. He slept a lot as well....

You could probably ride in the backseat with him and play peek-a-boo or other games. Also definitely stop a few times and get him out to walk around and stretch his tired legs. We did that to let him get the restlessness out of his legs.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 3:16 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• When I travelled with my oldest when she was little I bought a lot of different little surprises and put them in brown paper bags. Every hour or so I'd pull out something new to help keep her from getting bored. With my twins, who are 15 months, I always try to leave at nap time so they will sleep for a while, but we haven't tried to go more than about 1 1/2 hours with them so far. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:20 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• STICKERS lots and lots of stickers, but make sure they are ones that are easy to remove in case he gets them all over the car
    Nicholeb211

Answer by Nicholeb211 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• The ONLY thing that would entertain my older daughter on long car trips was singing with her. She had one of those musical story books that we both knew by heart and whenever we would have long trips, I'd just sing them over and over and over and over and over...........
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• You hope the child sleeps threw it.

Answer by louise2 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Take lots of snacks, books for him to look at, a dvd player and some movies. We drove 4000 miles with an 18 month old last february, 7 12hour days across the US and Canada. Put gas in the car whenever you stop to change the baby, because if he falls asleep you won't have to stop and fill up and risk waking him up. I could list so many things but it would be too long so pm me if you want more ideas than this.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 6:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Drive at night so the kid will sleep threw the 5 hour drive.

Answer by louise2 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 27, 2008