Mama's with little dogs please help

I have a yr old chihuahua whom I love just like he was another kid lol

My problem is that I have another kid on the way lol....my dog is GREAT with our 4 yr old daughter, he's very patient with her pulling and tugging on him, we've had no problems with him biting or growling or snapping or any of those other things that people accuse chihuahuas of doing lol but he DOES love to play.....do you have any suggestions as to how I should keep things going with the new baby?

The only thing I know I'm supposed to do is bring home a blanket that the baby has touched so he can get used to the babies smell...what else should I be doing to keep everything peaceful and injury free?

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Pets

• put diapers, blankets, baby powder and generally anything that smells like a baby around the house. When she approaches them, allow her to sniff, lick, or lay by it but if she starts to play or chew on it remove her. This teaches her that this is a scent connected with respect. She can sniff, lick and lay next to the baby but she can't play with them (at least for now). Worked like a charm with my cousin's pug.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Just let your dog get used to the idea. slowly introduce them and remember to never leave you child in a room with ANY animal un atended.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• *unattended

But_Mommie

• I also have a Chihuahua and I didn't worry about this one bit when I just had my baby in Nov. Daisy is amazing with my other 2 kids and I just knew she would be amazing with the baby too. You know your dog best. There must be a reason you are feeling this way though. Do you think the dog would turn on the baby or something? If so, what gives you that feeling?

Just let the dog around the new baby, but supervise everything. He'll sniff the baby and probably realize it is boring and move back to your toddler who is fun. Good luck!
    Jeannie721

Answer by Jeannie721 at 5:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• When we brought home my son, I was concerned the same way. We had a White Island Terrier. All I can say, we kept a careful eye on the puppy around Zak, but got them accustomed to being around each other, from the start. Sometimes, the puppy got quite jealous of baby Zak, we would remove her from room, if she got outta hand. She learned to be aware of the baby and respectful of him, eventually became protective of Zak. Thats all I got. Good luck.
    JLP2009

Answer by JLP2009 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If you are concerned that the dog might nip at the baby, because you are holding it all the time. Maybe you should get a babydoll and cuddle it.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Most dogs will instinctively understand the babies position in the family and respect that. Definitely have hubby bring home items from the hospital to give them the scent and enter the house first by yourself to say 'hi' and calm things down before you bring the baby in. Good luck!
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 9:26 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• We have had some issues with our smallish terrier and the kids, but never when they were babies. His biggest complaint with new babies has been only that I cannot pet him while I'm feeding the baby. He really doesn't even really notice the babies until they hit the crawling stage. Then, I have to be very careful allowing them time together. I think most of it is about teaching the child to interact with the dog. I also tend to give the dog many "breaks" in those early stages. (I let him stay upstairs while the kids are downstairs or vice versa.) He tends to have a bit more patience if he doesn't have to spend all day being a toy. Once the kids have hit about the 2 and a half mark, they are much better at respecting the dog's space and allowing him room, so they all get along much better.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2011