Advice please?

My 3 yr old son doesn't listen to me at all. What are some ways to get him to listen? I have never had this problem with my other kids.

caseymarie

Asked by caseymarie at 5:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• try time outs and ask if he is ready to listen yet. we had to do that with my oldest and after a while she just got tired of being in time out and would listen. make sure you ask if he heard you because sometimes kids get so caught up in what they are doing they dont pay attention.. if all else fails.. get his hearing checked.. he may have developed married man syndrome wayyyy too early lol
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I agree that time out should be tried. Stick with it and stay calm and matter of fact. you might browse through books on raising strong willed children in a good bookstore. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Try time out...it never worked on dd (who turns 3 in June)..we mainly have this problem with her picking up her toys, and most of the time I can tell her that I'm going to take them away if she doesn't pick them up, and she'll do it..but if that doesn't work, she doesn't get dh's iPad when he comes home (she loves to play games on it and watch Dora), and that gets her toys picked up quickly. I learned that taking the toys away that she did not pick up was no use bc she didn't care if they got put up.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• That last part should be the toys she wouldn't pick up...for example if she didn't pick her toys up, she couldn't color and I would put her crayons away.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Time outs don't work for all children; you will need to figure out what disciplinary act works with your child and then stick with it; if that means a swat across the bottom then so be it; be consistent and don't let them know they are getting to you; ask him why he won't listen to you. Kids are smarter then what some give them credit for and if you just communicate with him maybe he will open up and let you know and things will get better. Let him know that you don't like his attitude and if it doesn't stop then there will be a punishment when you get home. Good Luck
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:20 PM on May. 21, 2011