Starting kindergarten--huge problem w/ this school.. dont know what to do

My daughter has had SERIOUS bowel issues since birth.. and has had many surgeries & everything to correct it. She is finally about to start Kindergarten, and is ABLE. She doesnt have accidents (only sometimes) And she now has bowel control.. so she will be just fine starting kindergarten.. or so I thought

this week is sign ups.. i didnt know it was ALL DAY kindergarten? I never heard that before I am SO out of the loop.. i thought it was still HALF DAYS.. our district says you can go half a day still, but those children will miss lessons. which obviously is not what I want for my child.. but i also dont want to send my 5 year old to school for 6 hours a day esp. since she is so new in the world to going potty on her own. Im so nervous..

does your district do all day kindergarten?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• she needs a 504 plan. get in touch w/ your districts 504 plan coordinator asap.

PS all day kindergarten is pretty standard these days
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• since she has a health condition it might be possible that she can get accomidations such as an aid coming in and taking her to the bathroom every so often or something like that. I would go in and talk with the school about what you all could try to see what works best.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 6:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Yes for the last few years, did you ever think of homeschooling for the first year or two, she could even take classes on an online school. Online schools are mostly free your school district should pay for it almost definitely since she has a valid reason for going. And to interact with kids you could sign her up for hour long classes at like the YMCA or REC centers.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I second letlovegrow's idea of homeschooling. I wish we had started sooner. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Give her a year of half day private K...maybe through a local church...then sign her up for full time K next year :)

Just a thought :) Kids are not required to attend school until 7 in our area. Most people dont realize that!

I am a teacher and I promise doing this can only help her. I also agree about talking to the counselor about a 504. see what they say.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• because of her unique situation I'd disagree w/ the homeschooling suggestion. She could eventually feel ashamed or other negative things. also kids are the most tolerant, accepting, understanding, etc during the younger years. If she DID have an accident they'd understand and not be cruel. It's best she "grow up" with the same kids who understand a little of her medical past and understand her

A 504 plan would allow for extra bathroom breaks, etc etc without annoying the teacher or being a disturbance to the classroom
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• We opted for all day after about a week of half day. My son asked for all day. He was only missing science, I believe. Start with half day and work your way up. It'll be totally fine!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• All of my kids have done all day kindergarten, my youngest is in the last quarter of it this year. It was very tiring for all of them, especially the first month or two. My middle child would literally fall asleep at the table some Friday nights.

It makes sense to me to work with the school and the school system and look about getting an aide, who can help her. She has enough medical documentation to warrant it. My kids' school is private, so I don't have a lot of exposure to the public system, but they are fairly accommodating as far as children with special needs of a myriad of varieties, including mine with epilepsy.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• The district with which we live in just started full day K this school year (just in time for my DS to start K). I work in a neighboring district and we are still half day K, but we are the only one left now. I would call the school and talk with the nurse and principal right away and see what they think. Maybe you could start her off going half day for the first part of the year and then transition her in to going all day.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Kindergarten is 8:00 to 3:00 here. She does qualify for a 504 and/or Special Services. They should give her all the accommodations she needs.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2011