Morbid question - not for the faint of heart. adult content

I was watching "The Road" last night, and have previously read the book.  For those who haven't seen/read it, it's an armaggedon-type book/movie about a man and his son fighting to survive. Anyway, it got me thinking -

If you knew that being captured would mean that your children would be repeatedly raped and eaten limb by limb, could you kill your own child?  The man in the movie *almost* shoots his child in the head with their only bullet when capture seems imminent.

If faced with the horrors in the book/film, I could.

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 6:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I could. I read that book. He taught his child if about to be captured to then use the gun on himself. Torture is no way to die. Rape, being eaten...nope. I would have us both die. Or if one bullet left - my child to go and for me to be tortured, raped, eaten.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:14 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I think if those were the only two options I could, but it would be the hardest thing I ever had to do.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Remember Oprah in Beloved. Yes, I think if it' prevents suffering on that hideous level, I would find it in me.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I just saw that movie a week ago I gave me nightmares. The whole eating people part. I'd rather my family be with God then alive with savages like that. Even if it meant taking theirs and my life.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Yes, I would. *Shuddering*

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If it came down to those two options, I would have to make the hard decision to use the gun. I hate the thought of that, but it would keep my daughter from suffering
    emmapsmom

Answer by emmapsmom at 7:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I absolutely would.... I'd try and simplify it in my brain as a loving mercy killing VS her/him being slowly tortured to death
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Absolutely. I would do it quickly and without hesitation.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Yes I would do it in a heartbeat
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• wouldnt think twice about it. I definetly would take their life to keep them from suffering.
    phall1069

Answer by phall1069 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2011