How do you be the better person when you are insulted

When someone insults you or your situation, without knowing you, where you come from, or even the background of your situation, how do you act the better person?

MoonMamma3

Asked by MoonMamma3 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I suppose by walking away and ignoring that person and her comments, but I've never been able to do that, heh. When I get attacked, my first instinct is to attack back.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• By considering the source and walking away. I always figure those sorts of people judging me or others without knowing the whole story are pretty insignificant and small minded.

Answer by gemgem at 6:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I think that is a shallow person with little people skills. Ignore the ignorant.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I never could just walk away my mouth and brain don't always connect, sometimes neither do my hands. Sometimes ignorant people need a face full of dirt to knock them off their high horse.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 6:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• A young woman I knew used to say nothing, and just smile big, to let them know that her esteem was not diminished by their insult. Some inner defensive thoughts could be, "That comment tells me more about you, because it has nothing to do with me."
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 7:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Give them your phone number and ask them if they need to just talk call you. Chances are they will not. Then there is the do over question "ask them do they want a do over"?
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 7:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• What was the situation? I love having the luxury of time to think of a witty response, lol. Sadly, I'm terrible in the moment....but depending on the situation, I'd probably say something like, "have a nice day!" with a big smile and keep going, then I'd spend the whole ride home coming up with FABULOUS comebacks, sigh.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Honstly, I cut toxic people out of my life as much as possible. It sounds like you have found one, just leave them alone and go one. Good luck.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Ignore the person
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 8:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I would ignore them because if they don't know you or your situation then that means they don't have the right to judge or insult you in any way. However, I know that there are situations that warrant you saying something...I would say what I have to sayvery intelligently and boldly and walk off.
    MrsJStearns

Answer by MrsJStearns at 10:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2011