Can anyone tell me when I'm suppose to change carseats?

My baby is almost 11 months. He weighs 25 lbs. The carseat I currently have is a Peg Perego up to 30lbs or 30 inches..he's 31 inches now..So I'm beginning to look at new carseats being he's nearing his first birthday? Any suggestions, and what would be the "safest" seats y'all would recommend?

Jeda624

Asked by Jeda624 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they just changed it they need to be two years and till they are forward facing I got a carseat at walmart its rear and forward facing. Rear till like 40lbs and forward upwards of 60lbs its a five point harness.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Brittax is the best. They put those seats through a lot of tests, much like cars. You need to keep baby rear-facing as long as possible. Get a seat that will allow this. A five point harness needs to be on the child as long as possible too.They're safer than boosters with a regular seatbelt. Finally, all kids should ride in the backseat until age 12. If you HAVE to have a kid in the front seat, like if you drive a truck, then make sure your air bag is turned off. Air bags alone can kill kids or small adults.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I am a car seat technician so I can help you out. Your baby outgrows his current seat when he has less than one inch of hard shell above his head or he reaches the weight limit. Like others have said rear facing is the safest.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Legally, the bare minimum requirements to have your child forward facing are 12 mos AND 20 lbs. The AAP and NHSTA recently changed their OFFICIAL recommendation to state that a child should remain in a rear facing position until at least 2 yrs and 30 lbs, and encourage you to keep your child rear facing for as long as their seat allows.
    If you are looking to purchase a convertible seat, I highly recommend the Safety 1st Complete Air 65, which RF to 40 and FF to 65, the First Years True Fit, which RF to 35 and FF to 65, and the Graco MyRide 65, which RF to 40 and FF to 65. I own all 3 of these, and recommend any of them to anyone looking for a convertible. Of course, based on your needs and budget, there are plenty of other seats to choose from which are all equally safe when installed and used correctly.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Also, the height limits on seats are a rough guide, as different children have different torso lengths. If your child has less then 1 inch of hard shell above his head, he cannot safely use the seat any longer. But, he can be 33 inches, and as long as there is still AT LEAST one inch of hard shell above his head, he CAN use the seat.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• one that is a convertible one that can stay rear facing until he is two but will switch to forward facing after. something like this:

graco

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If u realy want to know go to a local police dep.They will help you.Give you great advice
    ozzydane

Answer by ozzydane at 11:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• The law depends on your state. In Oregon, it's rear-facing til 1 year AND 20 lbs. My Graco seat goes to 25lbs, and I have a cheaper Evenflo I bought while traveling that goes to 35 lbs, both rear facing. Go to your local fire or police department; they're a GREAT help with types and installation.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Graco has this awesome 3 in 1...convertible, high back booster, and booster. The convertible/highback is good til 65lbs I think, and the booster til 100lbs.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Nautilus-Pink-Daisy-Seat/10856433

JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2011