Newborn and sleep

ladies i just got home like 2 days ago and baby is doing well he was 4lbs 8oz and is eating about a ounce every 3 hrs but my question is i know new born sleeps alot but this boy can sleep is that ok?? i just worry about him sleeping so much cuz of him being a preemie and he will even sleep past feeding times sometimes should i be worried??

wiggsbabe

Asked by wiggsbabe at 6:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They really sleep a lot in beginning. Enjoy it, it won't last.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• if you're worried, wake him up for a feeding. and talk to his pediatrician about it.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I was told about this pregnancy paranoia just turns into mommyhood paranoia. I don't know much about this because my little one isn't here until July but I wish you the best :)
    jessiskinner200

Answer by jessiskinner200 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My son was 9 weeks early and for the first 45 days or so he slept 22 hours a day. For all newborns, but especially preemies, sleep equals growth and brain maturity. They require the extra sleep for good development. Sleep is when their little brains process all the information they have gained and start to file in whatever order the brain puts it in. My son is now 3 months old (1 month adjusted) and he still sleeps about 20 hours a day, but in a different way. He has longer period of being awake and sleeps about 6 hour solid at night. the neonatologist and pediatrician really stressed the need for sleep with us.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 7:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• as far as sleeping past feeding times the general rule of thumb is no longer than 4 hrs between feedings, but double check with you pediatrician. If the doctor says feed him when he is hungry, which is the point my little guy is at finally, then don't worry. My little guy was born at 2 lb 15 oz and is now almost 9 lbs....sleep really equals grow for him.

You also need to consider that any time he is awake he is burning a lot more calories than when he sleeps and preemies just can't afford the extra calorie burn until they reach a certain weight/size. Breastmilk and formula contains only 20-22 calories per ounce....the extra calorie burned by a preemie can really hinder their growth.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Play it safe and ask the doctor. he may suggest waking him for feedings during the day.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Newborns sleep a lot — typically 14 to 18 hours a day during the first week and 12 to 16 hours a day by the time they're a month old.
    and a little more for preemies.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• That's only 8 oz a day - even for a preemie newborn that's not enough. Wake him to eat more often.
    Anonymous

That statement is not correct. Preemies can not eat like a term newborn. My son, who was 9 weeks early, was a month old before he could even tolerate 5-6 oz per day. The amount of food needed is based on weight and calorie consumption.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• They do sleep a lot. Try not to worry too much but if you are really concerned then talk to the pediatrician about it and remember to get some sleep while the baby is sleeping b/c it doesn't last. (the sleeping all the time)
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 9:31 AM on Mar. 26, 2011