How do I cope better when My daughter has to stay in the hospital

Ladies for the last 4 weeks I have had to go to the ER with my 18 year old handicapped daughter she recently started with seizures all have been at school she had one Monday and Wednesday of this week the hospital we go to is always packed mind you they handle trauma patients to Wednesday they admitted my daughter I got their at about 3:30 she has to leave school by lifesaving crew her one on one aide rides with her it took the Er doctor we had seen before 7:30 before she could get the nerologist on the phone it was 11:05 before she was taken to her room she had 3 seizures that day one in the emergency room.

I was so tired mad and hungry my daughter tied well they got her straight I asked and told them I had not eaten since that morning the nurse give me a vocher to go to the cafteria me and my daughter ate pizza chips and drinked soda it was 1:10 she could not eat anythig after that until we got home last night she was starved she had an MRI my sister and neice drop me off which makes me mad they have a time with parking somewhere I cannot move my daughter has to be watched going to the bathroom is hard for both of us she has accidents on herself at times if she is not hooked up to anything I have been so hungry at times is not funny.

I go back to bed when I see her on the school bus first time had not ate my niece her boyfriend and her 2 year old son were with me but way later the go get me something stay in the car eat either one comes in and says anything we finsh she has to come up and get us while my daughter was in the hospital I got so bored I felt to confined I do not watch a lot of tv and that got old she was sleeping on a lot of medcations sleeping hard sometimes in and out only early that morning real quite few times during the day so how do I cope because I feel it will be other hospital stays my sister and them I am not saying they will not come but you never know my boyfriend he had to go to his brothers funneral so he could not be there I did make phone calls.

First time I kinda run out my boyfreind was like he was going to come she had to stay and bring me some money next day did not take my cellphone how do I even cope with having to be in the emergency room waiting so long also I start getting crazy thoughts like they see you are kinda shy so you are not going to ask some even comes you have to after a long period I do ask for a phone one nurse she was nice enough to ask did we wont anything to drink or eat she brought 2 cokes and a bag of pretzels so what can I do to help myself.

blessed4918

Asked by blessed4918 at 7:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• you're VERY lucky to have been given a voucher to go eat. That's almost unheard of. A puzzle book, a roll of quarters, possibly a hairbrush and deodorant and important phone #s should be in a backpack with you at all times if her being admitted to the hospital will become an ongoing event.

Also don't feel SO obligated to stay with her while she is sleeping. I'm hospitalized on a fairly regular basis. My husband times his exits 20 minutes or so after my medications are administered so I really don't notice him gone. I'd rather him be back with me while I am AWAKE and ALERT and he's showered, rested, had a decent meal, etc etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I can see that your very upset and stressed, but I'm having a hard time following your story, and not sure what you're really asking.

From what I get, I'd say have a hospital bag packed for emergencies with some granola bars, and other food that keeps, and maybe a few dollars for emergencies. Keep it in the car, or handy....maybe with some extra clothes for emergencies too.

Other than that, I'm really not sure what you need, try to take a deep breath, I'm so sorry for what you're going through.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• hugs

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:18 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• What can you do to help yourself?? Have a roll of quarters in your purse for the next time this happens. When your daughter is admitted, go grab a bite when she sleeps. Remember she is in a hospital and they usually are staffed with extremely able nurses and aids.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2011