Which gadgets should you keep or lose? Do you agree? (see text below)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/24/technology/personaltech/24basics.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=homepage

DESKTOP COMPUTER Lose it. You may have one now, but are you really going to replace that deskbound PC when it becomes out of date? Assuming you are not a hardcore gamer or a video editor, laptops have all the necessary computing power the average user needs. If you want to replicate that desktop experience, you can always connect your laptop to a larger display and keyboard.

HIGH-SPEED INTERNET AT HOME Keep it. With the advent of devices like the MiFi, which converts a 3G mobile signal into a Wi-Fi cloud for multiple devices to share, you might be thinking about giving your Internet service provider the boot and using your cellphone as your Internet connection, even when at home. That would work — provided that you get a strong data signal where you live; that you never intend to stream video from Netflix, YouTube or Hulu; and that you have an unlimited data plan from your wireless provider. Given all these caveats, it probably makes more sense to stick with your I.S.P.

CABLE TV Depends. While you may and should hold on to a good broadband connection at home, it is debatable whether you need to pay for cable TV. Sports fans probably will want to keep it, as many leagues restrict online content, but casual viewers who mainly want some shows and movies to watch could get by with a good Internet connection and some low-cost subscriptions to services like Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video.

POINT-AND-SHOOT CAMERA Lose it. Yes, a dedicated camera will probably take a better picture than the small lens and image sensor of a smartphone, but it will not be that much better. And a point-and-shoot has limitations of its own. It is hard to share photos until you have transferred them to your computer, and there are no apps for cameras, as there are for smartphones, that allow you to quickly apply cool filters and treatments to the shots you took. Perhaps most important, a camera may or may not be close by when a photo-worthy moment arises, but it’s very likely that your phone will.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Technology

• Just lose the cable tv
    LovableFox

Answer by LovableFox at 2:16 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I agree with it, except for the camera. We don't have cable or satellite TV, but I really miss it lol. We have Netflix, but I just miss being able to flip through channels when I want to, ya know? Smart phones are nifty, but I don't think they can replace an actual camera and stuff, or at least not yet. Although I'm more ok with giving up an actual camera than a camcorder (which I need to replace).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2011