Kid Shows or Play?

Which is more important for your kids and why? Share your opinions.  I was aiming towards infants to toddlers, but if you want to include tweens and teens too, please do.

mommieGem

Asked by mommieGem at 7:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• well mostly play of course.... but if I need a quick shower or peace/quiet to schedule some dental appointments you can bet your butt I'm turning on the tv. :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Definitely play!

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 7:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• play!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not saying tv is evil, but there are no benefits for tv.. kids learn through play, kids exercise with play, etc. tv is just a screen of colors and shapes that looks pretty but does little to no educating and unless they are dancing to the music offers no exercise.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Play!! It engages their mind and body. At this age it's important that kids learn how to actually do things and how to think, problem solve, and explore. Even being bored makes them think, feel and learn. This is where independence and creativity starts. TV doesn't get them to do any of this.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• play. although they do learn things from some of the shows play is super important. My mom always says "playing is a childs job"
    reaandiziesmama

Answer by reaandiziesmama at 10:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Play is important indeed! I just bought her a new dolly she's been asking for and mind you it does wonders. She loves to feed it and change its diapers and stroll it around and talk to her little friend. It's awesome! Pretend play or any form of play is essential. I do let her watch kid shows on tv and/or video and the stuff they have nowadays hits on great topics like reading, identifying, singing, colors, you name it! We are fans of Sesame and Blue's clues. I don't rely on tv alone; park play, and flash cards are also part of our routine.
    mommieGem

Comment by mommieGem (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Mar. 26, 2011