Problems with my 14 month old boy....help!

Ok ladies a little background on my son, he was diagnosed with acid reflux as a baby, and he is severely lactose intolerant. He has grown out of the reflux for the most part, but is still severely lactose intolerant. When he was little, before he was diagnosed with his reflux and lactose intolerance, he was breastfeed. He threw up almost everything he ate, and screamed constantly. The only thing that helped was when I held him, so it seemed like I was holding him 24/7, which was fine with me if it helped him feel better. Everyone would always tell me I was spoiling him, but I ignored them. He was eventually put on soy formula and is now on soy milk, so no problems there. When we went in for my sons 6 month check up, he weighed 22 pounds. All my kids were chunky babies so I wasnt worried about that. Well we recently went for his 12 month check up, and he weighed 23 pounds, which seemed odd to me, because he had only gained 1 pound over a course of 7 months. The doctor said it was fine, my son had gotten taller, just not heavier. So I was like ok, no big deal. Well now my son is 14 months old and I am having a lot of problems with him. For one, he is totally rejecting his sippy cup now, he only wants his bottle. He has only been like that since my husband deployed about a week or so ago. He screams and cries constantly, unless I am holding him, he is eating/has bottle, or is in his bed. I feel awful because I dont know what to do to help him. He doesnt seem to be in any pain, he just seems sad. Another thing is he still isnt walking, or even trying to. He will walk if I hold both of his hands, but the second I let go he falls on his butt. My daughter was walking right after her 1st birthday, and my step daughter was walking by the time she was 1o months old. He also only says 4 words, dada, mama (not often), no no and ba ba. I just feel like hes not developing as fast as he should, and I feel like I might be doing something wrong. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

merandaobrien

Asked by merandaobrien at 8:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He sounds like he is the normal ranges for his development. There is such a wide range of what is normal. The other issues sound related to your husband's deployment. Children just can not process that big a change like we can. Give him time and have patience. It sounds like he has regressed temporarily and he will get through it. Keep the sippy cup nearby and he will use it eventually. Cuddle him as you did before so he has the closeness he needs and is missing from dad right now. I wish you all the best and hope the other children are doing OK.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• he is only 14 months.. my boys didnt say 4 words before they were 2. as far as walking every child is different.. my friends both kids didnt walk til 16 months..
    its okay!!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 8:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• take a deep breath. yes, he is probably sad, he knows daddy is gone but doesn't have the words to express it. stick with your routine/schedule as hard as it is, if you let him get off of what he is used to it will only make things worse. not walking at 14 mos is not a red flag for concern, all kids are different and the amount of words he has is developmentally appropriate as well.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• The crying and such is probably because his Daddy is gone and he knows someone is missing and can't find them. 14 months is usually an age when children go through another separation anxiety phase. The regression back to a bottle may also be linked to Daddy being missing. Also, most kids don't walk until they are closer to 18 months old. It sounds to me like he still needs the comfort/stability of holding on to something, that's normal. The speech thing too sound like he's right on track. I remember hearing from my kids' doctor that the words don't have to make sense AT ALL to anyone except him. For example, if he says boo and points to a dog every time he sees one, then that is a word.

You're doing a GREAT job Momma!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Don't worry, he sounds just fine. It's hard to compare one kid to another (even siblings) because each kid's personality is so different, so you're much better off just trusting the doc. I've heard that it takes a lot of energy to grow taller, and his weight is very healthy, so don't worry about that. He's still has time to learn to walk - there is a huge window of time that is acceptable. And the crying/whinning is also really normal. Kids this age are still dealing with separation anxiety on and off, AND his dad just left for a long time so he might be missing him and sad because of it. And he says 4 words! That's good. As long as he's learning the meaning of words/sentances, even if he's not saying them yet, then he's right on track. Some kids just stock up on the vocabulary in their heads before they start speaking a ton.

I agree with others - you are doing a great job of caring for him. Keep it up!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Don't worry all children develop diffrently. Most kids do not start to walk until 15 months. As for talking don't worry about that either. He just might not be ready. It will come along. As for the other things it sounds like he has seperation anxiety. Which is normal for his age anyways. It maybe worse than normal because of him missing Daddy. Just be there for him and reassure that you are there and he will be fine. My DH goes out of town for weeks at a time for work and DS behaves like this everytime he leaves. It will get better sweetie. Hang in there.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2011