Have you been in a bad car accident? If so, has it changed your confidence in yourself?

I started to get anxious after a car accident. It took me a few weeks to shake it off but I don't drive when I don't have to.

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 8:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Health

• it gets better. i still shudder when i pass the spot where i kissed a tree at 55 mph back in 83. i drive all over have siunce then and have had a few accidents since then. just remember to buckle up
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 8:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• oh man this is going to take up 940 characters!!
    I was in a wreck 13 days before christmas .. i flipped our truck 3 times with me an my 3 kids in it.. NOTHING happened to them thank goodness!! i was scared to drive for awhile after that... but had to get over it to take my kids to school.. THEN.. in febuary - i was driving on an icy road an our tire popped .. i was only going 40 but the with the ice i did a 360 an went off the road.. i have not drove on freeway since then (it was on freeway) my husband tells me i need to get over it. i cant :(
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 8:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I was in Germany, in the military, when I nearly got flattened by a semi on the autobahn. It changed lanes into me and totaled the station wagon I was driving. That was about 10 years ago now. I STILL get nervous when I have a semi on my left from that incident. I think if it weren't for my friend MAKING me drive his pickup everywhere we went that would have been the last time I drove ANY vehicle.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• 3happykidds, omg, that's a lot to deal with and you will get through it. I don't know if the best advice is the wait a while or get back on the horse. It's easy for others to tell you what they think but you will know. I'm happy to know that you and your kids are fine! That's all that matters!
    If you feel that it's paralyzing you, you might consider going for therapy. Actually, therapy is a GREAT idea, maybe you should look into it sooner than later.
    Take Care!!
    Alexias30

Comment by Alexias30 (original poster) at 8:14 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Knock on wood never while driving. But I was hit while crossing the street in 2000. Had a shattered left ankle etc. I know for the longest time I was terrified even walking through a parking lot.
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 8:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I have PTSD from a few accidents they still dont know how I survived with little injury much less how I'm alive. To this day there are few if any people I will be a passenger in a car with because I wasnt the driver in any accident Ive been in. Im a nervous wreck if I have to ride and cant drive. I got help from a shrink to help me deal with the anxiety and PTSD without medication's, But I just wont be a passenger in a car if I can help it. As long as I can drive going somewhere Im fine, If forced to ride, well. lets just say I have many bad days afterwards.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

•  I can't walk, let alone drive. I am still freaked out now and then when driving with hubby.

bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 8:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• right before we confirmed our pregnancy, my mom was driving me to school in her vw bus. it was the first rain, she wasnt paying attention and was about to change lanes when i shouted, look out! she looked up and slammed on the brakes but still slid about twenty feet. she rear ended the car in front of us, who rear ended the car in front of him, then we were hit from behind twice. i have NEVER liked riding in cars, i dont have my license, but i missed the bus... i asked her what it felt like to miscarry. i didnt and the next day i found out i was pregnant! im so bad in cars, if i have to ride in them, i have to take breaks to breathe. i pull my hair and have a melt down basically. hyperventilate, shake my head, press down like im hitting the brakes, i start back seat driving, im soooo bad. i heard that driving would help, but its not me, its the other cars im worried about.
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I was in a horrible crash when i was 16 (my dad was driving, not me). We got hit head on. My dad and I weren't wearing seatbelts. My son was 11 months old and strapped in his carseat. I ate the windshield, which ripped the skin off my forehead and alot of my hair out. I also broke both of my legs. My left kneecap burst through my skin, snapped my left femur, crushed my right ankle, broke my finger and gave me a concussion. My dad broke a leg and had a heart injury. My son was fine, except a bump on his head. It has very much affected my confidence. I'm self conscious bc of all my scars, I never regained full use of my left leg so I can't walk up stairs very well which is very embarrassing, and I'm still terrified of driving. I wouldn't wish it on anybody.
    MrsBer

Answer by MrsBer at 9:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• yes I was in one a year ago a teenager ran a stop sign and my 2 boys were in the car with me; it was terrifying because they were in the backseat and if I wouldn't have swerved like I did she would have t-boned me as it was she got the whole left side of my car. I don't like going near the intersection where it happened and I tighten up every time we do drive past it.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2011