her actions caused a teen to committ suicide and all she gets is a misdemeanor conviction. Do you think this is right?

Jury convicts mom of lesser charges in online hoax
LOS ANGELES – A Missouri mother on trial in a landmark cyberbullying case was convicted Wednesday of three minor offenses instead of the main conspiracy charge in a cruel Internet hoax that apparently drove a 13-year-old girl to suicide.

The federal jury could not reach a verdict on the conspiracy allegation against 49-year-old Lori Drew and rejected three other felony counts of accessing computers without authorization to inflict emotional harm on the girl.

Instead, the panel convicted her of three misdemeanor offenses of accessing computers without authorization. Each of those counts is punishable by up to one year in prison and a $100,000 fine. Drew faced up to 20 years in prison if convicted of the four original counts.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081126/ap_on_re_us/internet_suicide

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• “Lori Drew decided to humiliate a child,” U.S. Attorney Thomas O’Brien, chief federal prosecutor in Los Angeles, told the jury during closing arguments. “The only way she could harm this pretty little girl was with a computer. She chose to use a computer to hurt a little girl, and for four weeks she enjoyed it.”

THIS IS AN EVIL SICK WOMAN......
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 6:12 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• No one can MAKE someone commit suicide. As cruel as it was, no one could know how truely unstable the girl was. She CHOSE to kill herself. No one killed her.
    Anonymous

• This disgusts me that is a horribe horrible woman who I hope gets her just deserts... She should be banned for life from having access to the internet... I hope she gets what she gave out and it drives her to the same conclusion... the family of the 13 yr old should sue for a wrongful death suit. That woman disgusts me just thinking bout it makes me so angry
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• What a tragic event. She may not have gotten what she really deserves, but hopefully this will open the eyes of lawmakers and authorities. The laws need to evolve to deliver the right punishment in "cyber" bullying cases so that malicious people aren't getting off that easily.
    oceanlover84

Answer by oceanlover84 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Its the way the law is written whether we like it or not. Want better and stricter laws then tell your lawmakers, that is of course if they arent too busy giving billions of your tax dollars to privately owned companies.
    Anonymous

• playing devils advocate here -- what the woman did was heinous, but where the hell were the girl's parents???? WHY did she have an unmonitored myspace? I agree with a PP -- you can't MAKE someone commit suicide.
    Personally I think the women belongs behind bars, but where's the personal accountability? Parental accountability? Should we ban myspace now? Sue them?
    If a song told her she was better off dead would she have killed herself? A REAL boyfriend? Girls and women are abused by REAL men all the time, not virtual ones.
    I think I'll teach my daughters to have some self worth so hurtful comments are just that -- comments
    Anonymous

• its good enough, considering her name is splashed in her town, and state. people will never let her forget what she did to help a girl feel low enough to kill herself.
    Anonymous

• She is a 49 year old woman didn't she have anything better to do with her time then to harrass a 13 yr old. If I lived in that town I'd harrass her just like she did to that little girl. It doesn't matter that the girl was depressed and something else could of made her do it. What matters is that this woman was an adult and she harrassed a child... she is disgusting and I can guarantee you in Jail she's going to get her ass kicked. Even convicts and felons don't put up with crimes against children.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the parent parts monitering MySpace....but I had a myspace and it got jacked now I have to go thru all this BS to get my own space back, and you know what it was to solely montier my sons myspace use, guess what they get personal messages that we can't see or read. You know how I fixed that problem, I took the access to the computer away in fact I took the whole computer away, now they have to do things we used to do like hang out with frineds, shoot hoops, BE OUTSIDE...now this brings other problems that need monitering but seriously myspace is crazy, kindof like us fruity tooty Mom's hanging out all day on Cafemom. Too addictive kids need to be outside. At least then you'd know if they got in a argument or a fight.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:54 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I have to say as bad as I feel for the girl and as wrong as I think this woman was...I agree with 3:34
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 6:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2008