I dont like my engagement ring, problem

My SO officially asked me to marry him after 4 years of us being together, of course I said yes. However, I dont like my ring, to me its kinda ugly and is not me at all. We are going next week to get it sized , im not sure of how to tell him that I want another ring, after all Im the one who has to wear it for the rest of my life. Should I just forget about it and try to learn to like it, or should i tell him, if so, how do i tell him that??

Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• i straight out told my husband i hated my ring set .. finally got a new one which i like a lot better.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 8:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Could you post a pic of it?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I'd wear it and love the fact that he chose it all by himself. Then I'd upgrade on my 5th or 10th anniversary.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• This is hard, you don't want to hurt his feelings, especially if he feels he picked a special ring, but you do have to wear it for the rest of your life. I'd consider calling the salesperson at the jewelry store before you go in to get it re sized and asking if they can help you with this sticky situation....I'd bet it's not the first time they've had this problem!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Well, thats the thing he DIDNT pick it out himself, his grandma helped him pick it, and its something she would wear, its very old fashioined. And Im sorry I cant post a pic, my camera is broken
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I didn't like mine either. Told him like a previous poster has said. We got a new set a few months before the wedding and all is good. Secrets, even what may seem small like this, have no place in a marriage.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• You need to tell him. Mention you always pictured________ for your ring and would like to consider other possibilities. Tell him you are thrilled to be engaged, you love him to death, and do not want to hurt his feelings but want to stay on the right foot of being totally honest with each other. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Set him down, tell him you don't really want to hurt his feelings, but your taste in jewelry is not the same as his grandmothers, and you'd like to be able to exchange the ring for one you'd like and would be proud to wear. I have a feeling since he didn't personally pick it out for you, he just might not get offended...but then again, I don't know him at all.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Rather than tell him you don't like his...I would come up with the style you always "hoped for"...like you've wanted a set like that all your life...and that if you're going to have a ring forever, you really want that particular one.

That takes it away from him and grandma, and puts it on you being hung up on this one ring...less of a personal attack on his taste I guess. LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Tell him it's just not your style, that you love him and love that he got it for you, but you would really appreciate if you could return it and pick out one that suits you better. Tell him exactly what's on your mind, in a way that he will understand and not be hurt by. If you can't communicate, the marriage would never work anyway - so that's where you have to start, communication.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 9:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2011